Battery Powered Chainsaw Test.

ive been using the husky top handle for almost a month now. ive hardly used my 201t in that time even though it is hands down more powerful. we have the 9.4Ah battery and it easily lasts all day pruning on a single charge, same for limbing or smaller removals. the battery has a display that tells you roughly how much charge it has so being surprised by a dead battery is not an issue. i love not having to pull the pull cord. we do a lot of coast live oak pruning and it can get pretty crowded, or if im in a tough to get to cut i dont have to reposition to get at the pull. the cons are that the battery is quite heavy, i dont know what the saw weighs but its definitely more than the 201. it also has less power like i said but partially makes up for that with a narrow kerf chain. funny thing is that the saw is too quiet to trigger the sena headset noise canceling and so it sounds louder than a gas saw over the coms.

The weight of the husky is annoying and why I haven't bought one. The pellenc has the right idea of carrying the battery on your body and having a light sleek cutting head to carry. I really want one the more I look at them.

I'm spoiled with the weight of the 150. the 201 barely ever comes out except on larger removals. I want my electric saw to weigh no more than my 150.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same here, and having our rear handle model sit next to the chipper for the occaional cut on something that won't fit into the chute is just so efficient.
Pick up.cut...set back down.

How much runtime do it see during a day? What is rutine with battery charge?

The weight of the husky is annoying and why I haven't bought one. The pellenc has the right idea of carrying the battery on your body and having a light sleek cutting head to carry. I really want one the more I look at them.

Pellenc is in a class of its own. Superior in every way. The saws are bulletproof!
There is 3 back pack battery's and a lot of tools to use with same back pack.

Husqvarna has back pack battery to now.

while pruning, even on the heaviest of jobs, I don't see the saw running more than an hour a day. on removals, the saw still doesn't run that long. What 30 seconds to a minute between and then more rigging and moving? Swapping a battery seems way easier than dealing with fuel. Your clearly not cutting firewood with it though.

Does the pellenc have smaller fannypack style batteries? Or is it just the big backpack.

Not practical for most people, but if I went electric, and I've thought of it, I'd build my own how I like it. I think I could do better than the commercial saws, cuz I know electrics pretty well. It's a big part of my hobby. Its like most things: commercial grade stuff tends to leave out common sense features and performance that we the users easily notice, and can think of better ways of doing it.

Electric will never beat gas run time, but electric can easily far exceed gas in power to size ratio, as well as low end torque, except maybe when you have a Top Fuel engine. We tend to never see that with today's sissy electric tools.

Edit:
If it weren't for the fuel cost, and the noise, Top Fuel chainsaws might be the way to go. Set it up like a backpack battery electric: backpack or belt pack gas tank, then engine and oil tank on a lightweight saw. Run some kind of nitro fuel for easily 3-6 times more power than stock, at the cost of about 1/3 the runtime of normal gas.

Does the pellenc have smaller fannypack style batteries? Or is it just the big backpack.

When I tested them there was 3. Smallest was about 2kg with cable and straps. Still lots of runtime.
Biggest you could run a day with I think.

How do they hold up in the rain?
Does really cold weather affect battery life?

Sounds like a cool tool for a homeowner that would want to use it, set it on a shelf for a year and know it'll run next time they need it.

How do they hold up in the rain?
Does really cold weather affect battery life?

Sounds like a cool tool for a homeowner that would want to use it, set it on a shelf for a year and know it'll run next time they need it.

I've had a hard time with batteries sitting around unused. They seem to just go dead. The electric motor should be fine but I'm skeptical of batteries sitting around. better for sure than ethanol gas but still

I rented a pelenc with a small backpack battery to test it, the perfotmance for pruning and reduction was awesome for take downs not that great. If you make cuts in the 8-10" range the battery is empty after 25-30. And there's the weight. The saw is about 5-6 pounds with bar, chain and oil wich is very hady but on your back sit another 9-10 pounds.

So if the noise and pollution isn't a problem I think the echo 2511 is a better choice.

Good to know -- pruning saw, not a removal-oriented beast. On our part, we trade up gas saws when we hit bigger wood during a removal. 10-12" switches up to the Husqy 346, even though the 200T has a 16" bar -- the extra cc's really help move through the wood a good bit faster. At 14-16", we're then up to the Husqy 372 with a 24" bar (usually in the main crotch of a tree). I would think the same rationale would apply to a battery saw like this -- once you start hitting 8-10" wood, switch it out for a gas saw.

Wondering what peeps think of the newish makita duc254 18v battery saw,I've had one For 3 odd weeks now,and I'm reasonably impressed.The chain speed is really good, I've only used it on the ground so far coppicing hazel,knocking back 3 or 4" ivy stems off big trees and pollarding scrub willows etc.But I think this will be really useful for my season of heading back biggish bramley apple trees/taking 4 to 6 ft off big conifer hedges etc.Having a lot of 4/5 ah makita batteries,this seems a good,cheap buy so far.

Really enjoying this husky thing.

No more gas or pull starts...
It's different than a saw... more like an electric tool.. little more delicate feeling.

But still cuts... and I can start cutting at 7am without 2 stroke through the concrete jungle...

Back