Battery Powered Chainsaw Test.

I'd would like to. I didn't know one was available. The Only downfall I see with the backpack would be heat.

Yes, you can be a troll, that is fine with me.

They were run under load, not dry humping. None of the saws without battery pack had run time over 14min. Makita and Husqvarna never past 10.
Pellenc ran 20 minutes and had close to 80% left.
What you want to know?

Already answered.
Handling I can tell how I experienced it, not how you will.
The one saw that I felt really comfortable with was Pellenc. The others was way behind.
Heavy to hold and handle and all but HVA a bit bulky On the other hand HVA was a bit long.

Mag the troll lol

Magster you did finally anwser a few questions...thanks

If I started a post and said I got to try out the new Stihl MS 151 pruning saw and just left it at that, people would be like "well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Magster you did finally anwser a few questions...thanks

If I started a post and said I got to try out the new Stihl MS 151 pruning saw and just left it at that, people would be like "well?

I happily answer questions if I can. You have any more?

If you start a post and I find it interesting I promise I discuss it with you. I would be thankful for the opportunity to know more and hammer away..

I thought there was more interest in these saws here than this....

I still would love a rechargeable at the chipper. Climbing.. not so much. Just need more battery life and run time. And no I will not wear a back back battery. Got enough shat on me in the tree already. Chipper saw I definitely see though. I am a tad worried about easier to injure ones self though. I need to go play with one. Seems like a groundie could get a "toy" mentality using a saw they don't have to start and no vroom vroom..

I see no use for these saws to me, anywhere. Until they'll outperform a gas powered saw I would definetly not want one. Hell I carry five+ saws already. Chipper saw? My chipper saw pulls a 24" bar and has 70+ cc's. I'll never get the 'small saw' thing.

I am not influenced or affected by any brand. I am not in any way restricted to say anything what so ever![/QUOTE]

:rockon:

I see no use for these saws to me, anywhere. Until they'll outperform a gas powered saw I would definetly not want one. Hell I carry five+ saws already. Chipper saw? My chipper saw pulls a 24" bar and has 70+ cc's. I'll never get the 'small saw' thing.

Katy always likes a smaller saw. The big ones hurt her back

Magnus thanks for being willing to share this information and answer questions. I have read reports of the Husqvarna 536 LIXP and seen a video or two. Had assumed I would be wanting to buy one when they hit the US market. This was based on the Idea that I could get half an hour run time out of a battery for light pruning. (I believe 30 minutes on energy save mode, 15 min. otherwise was stated by manufacturer.) Perhaps this was with an upgrade more powerful battery available separately too.

If I understand correctly you never got even 10 min. run time out of this saw. A)Did you have the most powerful battery available to you? B)Did you try the energy saving mode for length of run time and for comparable torque to normal mode? C)If so how does the torque between two modes compare?

If it would help you to understand how I could even be interested in one of these saws I can envision times when a customer is on the fence about me doing a tree job for excess noise reasons. I think that if I were to offer doing it with a “noiseless” battery operated chainsaw and only “make noise” with a chipper once at the end of the day there will be times I would get a job that I would otherwise miss out on.

I always think it’s amazing that we are supposed to just buy these pieces of equipment and see how they work out for us. Your info. and input will either save me a $ 1000 dollars when I don’t buy or allow me to spend that money with a much higher degree of certainty. Thanks so much for sharing.

Excellent Merle! I bought my Stihl with inky a few internet(probably biased) comments to go by. I am happy with it,but agree that it is only a small niche saw.

Magnus thanks for being willing to share this information and answer questions. I have read reports of the Husqvarna 536 LIXP and seen a video or two. Had assumed I would be wanting to buy one when they hit the US market. This was based on the Idea that I could get half an hour run time out of a battery for light pruning. (I believe 30 minutes on energy save mode, 15 min. otherwise was stated by manufacturer.) Perhaps this was with an upgrade more powerful battery available separately too.
We got the battery rek for it then a new one was sent here that was a bit bigger, 4,2AH
If I understand correctly you never got even 10 min. run time out of this saw. A)Did you have the most powerful battery available to you? B)Did you try the energy saving mode for length of run time and for comparable torque to normal mode? C)If so how does the torque between two modes compare?
A) Yes and A new one coming out on market.
B) Yes.
C) I did not notice torqe being more on low setting or cutting times improved much by hi setting. I did not measure rpm, but it did not seem all that much differance in speed.
If it would help you to understand how I could even be interested in one of these saws I can envision times when a customer is on the fence about me doing a tree job for excess noise reasons. I think that if I were to offer doing it with a “noiseless” battery operated chainsaw and only “make noise” with a chipper once at the end of the day there will be times I would get a job that I would otherwise miss out on.

I always think it’s amazing that we are supposed to just buy these pieces of equipment and see how they work out for us. Your info. and input will either save me a $ 1000 dollars when I don’t buy or allow me to spend that money with a much higher degree of certainty. Thanks so much for sharing.

I did not think it was that quiet. We measured the sound, I will see if I find the data.
It was not much different in the 536 and 439

Good to hear it did some good. If there is more questions, fire away I do my best to answer.

They put out 4-5 new battery's since this test. And we tested with prototype of what was to be 3'd battery to these saws.

I think working tree guys have a stiff mandate: why should i buy a saw that will give out on me (batt life) when i know i can refuel my saw for years with gas. Will the battery give out when i need it most? The cost of a battery saw is comparable to a new gas saw which will last for years. Will the battery saw still be there 10 years down the road? It is a tough market.
ALL tree guys have a saw or ...many that they hold as a backup.
We all know how frustrating it is to pick up a cordless drill and find it dead, or have it fail in the middle of a job.
Here on the west coast these concerns make or brake the issue.

It is a interesting technology, but I fail to see what the gain would be with battery saws today.
Unless the battery technology vastly improve so you can run a day on a battery its really not much point to it.
Even with back pack battery its still a couple hrs run time...
For occasional users I think there is better options as well as pro's and those in between so its hard for me to see what intended user it would be for these.
That said, Makita had a saw that ran on two screwdriver battery's.
That way a guy using other battery tools could have use for the saw with more use of battery's, but then he would need a few to get thru a day anyway..

Same here, and having our rear handle model sit next to the chipper for the occaional cut on something that won't fit into the chute is just so efficient.
Pick up.cut...set back down.

That's what our 346XP is mainly for -- general limbing and for the chipper/winch operator... (if the yawning, gaping 18"x24" throat of the chipper isn't sufficiently wide enough!)

I find the idea of no pull cord incredibly appealing. Also the idea of not worrying about bad gas too. I wonder where I can find this pellenc saw. Never heard of them Before but it really does look like a nice saw. They have a little pistol grip one that could be interesting.

Who needs a pull start if you just leave the gas saw idling at your feet for an hour... as some on the crew are wont to do... :/:

Back