EAB economics

Cando, there is no point in the government trying to stop it. Treatment and removal will do nothing with the majority of the trees being ash. Treeage works, and will save trees that are treated on schedule but all the rest will die.

Chris, start figuring out how to move material faster. Its coming.

^^^yep, name of the game will be efficiency. You can stop it. Like you said, the treatment is a bandaid that doesn't always work. I've removed my share of treated trees where the treatment either didn't take or it was too late. Too many people won't pay for it, they'd rather pay you once to cut it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it hits here, ill go to a bucket truck and goose neck dump trailer. I literally live and work in a forest of white ash trees. They are on 95% of properties I work on.

check with you state extension service, Joel. They should know about quarantines and disposal. Check with your local government, too.

White Ash are doing much better as a whole than Green Ash here. Green Ash has to be treated in the very early stages to be effective and successful.

We have removed a large number of Trees treated with imidacloprid as a basal drench, it just doesn't seem to be effective enough by itself. If I were to use imidacloprid, I would use it in conjunction with something like dinotefuran. Emamectin benzoate has shown great results so far, but we'll see. Next year will be our first big batch of round 2 treatments and I'm curious to see how everything looks.

Thanks for all of the great information folks. I'm doing all I can to get myself geared up for the upcoming battle. Knowledge is key here, and you've all contributed. With your help I can now focus my studies on specific issues and concerns. I just wish I knew for sure what it is I photographed earlier here.

Joel

Consider contacting State Extension Services outside your area that have been hit already, to the east, I guess.

the tunnels that you had in your photos are not the typical pattern for EAB. It looks like some other borers. This past year in the Dakotas, we saw a lot of dieback of ash. Best guess among the experts was that it was due to the lack of fall last year. The weather went from summer to winter, with fall lasting about 1 day in Oct. They feel that the trees did not go into dormancy in a normal fashion and the buds near the ends of the branches were killed. Were there a lot of woodpecker holes in the upper parts of the tree, particularly the south side? The woodpeckers usually find the infestation before we do.

Thank you, Bob. I wasn't positive on the identification, but I haven't heard of any other type of ash borer that causes this much damage to the tree. We do see woodpecker damage on the trees, but I don't remember if we saw it predominately on the south side of the tree. The bark is falling off in sheets. When we drop an ash log on the trailer, the bark strips off clean. None of my ash firewood has any bark remaining on it.

We had one living ash tree that had to be cut down in order to make a clearing large enough for tractor skidding operations. We left that tree laying on the ground, because we didn't want to mix any wet ash in with our dead and dry firewood. It's highly possible that the tree we left laying there might contain some larvae samples of whatever it is that might be causing the damage. I may head up there to collect a few samples for the NDFS guys, should they request it.

Thank you for staying in touch. Wishing you all the best in your retirement.

Joel

Hey Joel, theater pictures you have posted are not emerald ash borer larva galleries, most likely redheaded, banded or clearwing ash borers.( all native pests) We are in Ohio and have been dealing with eab since 2006. Have been to more seminars and talks on the subject than I can count. Also have removed 1000,s of dead and infected trees. The dead trees you are seeing were probably stressed from other factors making them attractive targets to our native say borers. Good find though, and always be looking so if eab does show up everyone out there can get in front of it as much as possible. Lots of good treatments showing promise now. Ron Veltre Cert. Arborist OH-6038a

626-ash-range.png

Yea cold!!! :rockon:

Good, yes but populations will climb back up as the ash will be stressed for the next couple of years. They made similar claims five years ago, it wasn't this cold but a much longer stretch of sub 0 days. The first go around it was hard to tell if EAB population went down because the infestation was already set in.

We have a lot of ash trees locally for street trees. Lots next door in Lacey, WA.

IDK what kinda ash. Wonder if it will be affected.

The entire Species is doomed ... White , Green , Black (my favorite). Sad to see all Fraxinus gone in our lifetime , stupid introduced invasive sonsofbitches

I almost think EAB was deliberately introduced. Like that scene from The Good Shepard , CIA dumping plane loads of locust on the coffee fields in Cuba.

I bet the Aliens view us as entertainment. The human race is one crazy reality show...

Attachments

• IMG_20150711_114143.jpg
    IMG_20150711_114143.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 12
Back