Hunting 2014

If I had to guess Cory, I'd say it was probably shot off during the doe season when he was a yearling. As you can see, his hams were huge, probably to compensate for the loss of the front leg.

If I had to guess Cory, I'd say it was probably shot off during the doe season when he was a yearling. As you can see, his hams were huge, probably to compensate for the loss of the front leg.

Believe it or not, 3 leggers have little or no problems.

I can see 3 leggers getting by ok, but to survive that wound without medical attention is amazing to me. Talk about resilient and robust and durable.

There was a young buck here at the house that the neighbors pitbull took a front leg off of about 5 years ago. He lived another 4 years. The dog didn't fair so well.

This was my first crossbow hog, actually taken in January. Modern crossbows are pretty amazing weapons. I used to despise crossbows, didn't think they had a place in hunting, then I got older! I was having some eye problems at the time and couldn't shoot my compound. The scope made all the difference IMG_0291.jpg

Do you bother with a bow anymore or keep it simple with the cross bow?

I bought a compound a few years ago, practiced with field points (no blades, just a pointed end), could group them in a pie plate at 5o yds no problem, but then I tried broad heads and couldn't get them to shoot straight, pissed me off!

Broadheads can be a nightmare Cory. Don't let them get you down. Did you paper test your bow? Often times a bow will shoot field points decent and Broadheads like hell if you bow is just a C hair out. Try again and take it to the woods!

Last year was my first year hunting with a crossbow Jay and I did take a buck with it. Cory, that's good shooting at fifty yards. Florida just made it legal to hunt with a crossbow on private land during archery season so we'll see if I use my compound or not. Bowhunting has been my passion since I was a teenager, I never thought I'd be debating whether I'd shoot a bow or a crossbow. Things change. Bud is right about the paper tuning and some broad heads just fly better than others, that's why expandables are so popular. I've shot a bunch of different heads in 40 years of bowhunting. For the last ten I've shot Muzzy 3 blades and have been well satisfied. If you're not familiar with paper tuning, any archery shop can help.

I got some trigger time this weekend. Editing vid later today. One pig down.

This is a vid from another shooter last week. I opted for 12ga/buckshot.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/dlTQzjlHpeg?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/dlTQzjlHpeg?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Good thing he wore camouflage or the pigs might have run away.
I realize that this is not hunting but extermination, but it still seems like a good way to leave a lot of wounded animals behind.

Lol on the camo comment. Maybe blue and white would be better fitting!

I think he had that as it had pocket for ammo clips, etc.

I wore ninja gear. Oh, it is a great way to leave wounded swine behind.

http://helibacon.com/video/

The wife an I are headed up along Mt. Baker (just past the area where the zipline GTG was) for early fall Black Bear and Grouse this weekend. We also got drawn for cow elk tags this year. So hoping to put a some meat in the freezer this season. :)

Gary

Maybe it is just me, maybe I don't understand, but those gunners in choppers look absolutely and utterly pathetic. I guess karma will do its job, in time.

I thought the same thing Cory until my cousin schooled me on the Major problem they have with Feral hogs in the south. Heli? Maybe overkill, but eradication to any level is a good thing.

Gary, good luck with the Elk! I can't stand Bear meat, so you're on your own there.

Cory, I think the hog population in Texas and other areas of the south are out of control. The conservation folks probably know how best to keep them in check.

Back