Trailer brake controller

treesmith

Banned
It's likely been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. My F250 came with a brake controller already installed. (No brand on it). One wire was cut on it...leading me to believe the previous owner had encountered a problem with it. Anywho, I hooked it up the other day in hopes it would work. The LED would go from green to red as brakes were applied, and I could hear a noise from the brakes when Ben pressed the brake pedal. (I assumed they were working). Later that day, I started hearing a hum/buzz from under the dash near the controller. So I disconnected it. I put in a "new" one today that I aquired several years ago from a friend. It's a Tekonsha Envoy. The green LED does not light up when the trailer is plugged up, but red shows when brake is applied. But I can't hear the trailer brakes making any noise, and from what I've read, they are supposed to make a hum/buzz as the brakes activate.

I have checked the plug...all connections are good. Plug grounds good on truck and trailer side. Do I have a bad controller? Or wiring issues? Anyone else have thug sort of trouble?

What year truck? Theres a period of ford trucks (early-mid 2000's) that get wired differently then other vehicles, per the instructions that come with the controllers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
2006....I wired the new one in the same as the old one was. (Which was in accordance with the instructions that came with the Tekonsha.)

06 you should have a factory one, why not use it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Factory what? Brake controller? Unless it's hidden somewhere....?

It'll be by your right knee, I can't remember seeing one without it. It's a diesel isn't it?

Check at the 7pin with a Multi-meter and see what kind of voltage if any your getting when the trailer brake is applied. There should be a rough diagram on the flip up cover.

Should be able to roll ahead lightly with trailer hooked up and manually apply trailer brakes to see if they work. There's always the possibility the trailer doesn't have brakes or they don't work.

I have the same brand of brake controller not sure of the model but mine has a green light that comes on and turns orange/red when the brakes are applied. If you could hear the brakes before and not now they aren't working. As was said earlier check with a multimeter at the truck bumper connection to see what's actually happening.

Back