The Knot That Makes My brain Hurt

TreeRhino

TreeHouser
OK, so I'm trying to tie a schwabisch with a closed loop and, for the life of me, I cannot get it right. If you have ever used a Sherrill adjustable friction saver, you'll have seen this and if i have one to compare and deconstruct, I can do it, but alas, when i pulled mine out i had, at some point, retied it with a 6-coil. Likely because I couldn't remember how to tie it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can you send me a link? still cant find it being tied with a loop. only a piece of cordage.

in a friction saver or hip prussik application it jams way less and is easier to move after being loaded but holds better than a four coil.

Take the end of you line and pass it thru the loop, then start tying a prusik. You can get a 3-1 wrap or a 4-2 wrap. not really a Swabisch , but functions similar.

I just tied this and if it is what you're looking for....

IMG_0362 (Small).JPG

...it can be done if (and that's a big if) the closed loop is long enough. You would have to tie an eight wrap prusik and then drop three (?) of the wraps off of one end of the friction saver. At that point there are several twists in the loop that have to be worked around to get them out of the knot to where they can equalize out in the free portion of the loop.

A shorter closed loop could be used by making a 4 wrap prusik, dropping a loop off of one end, adding a wrap to the prusik, drop a loop off the end, etc. until you had the correct wraps above and below.

This features a schwabisch...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ydt-hUT6aGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
And this.. Tied different direction..
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j4EJ2KHg1FU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Take the end of you line and pass it thru the loop, then start tying a prusik. You can get a 3-1 wrap or a 4-2 wrap. not really a Swabisch , but functions similar.

Thanks, man. I'll give it a go!

Back