Home coffee roasting

Cobleskill

Treehouser
I finally got around to (someone sent me an "aroundtuit"!) buying a roaster and some green coffee beans. I ordered from Dean's Beans. Nicaraguan, Ethiopian, Peruvian, and Guatemalan. I roasted some Guatemalan-they said smoky flavor-I get burnt out of it, and some Nicaraguan-they say dry with cocoa taste-I get pretty mellow, not bad.

They say flavor sometimes doesn't peak till 36 hours after roasting. I have not checked that out yet.

We are having a memorial for my Mom who passed in December this coming weekend. She was always trying to make a good cup of coffee. Hopefully my contribution to the meal is a coffee that is extra good.

Got Ethiopian to try yet-they say wild and fruity, and Peruvian-sweet and gentle.

It takes about 6 minutes to roast enough for 20 cups and it is enjoyable. Don't know yet if I will become a coffee snob and refuse to buy regular coffee. They say any coffee is stale after 10 days, vacuum packed or not. Most coffee today isn't that well sealed like it used to be in the metal cans anyway.

http://diycoffeeroasting.com/shop/fresh-roast-sr-500/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401036443.245197.jpg
Ah this one? I think that was me. I was just thinking about this this morning as I poured some crap coffee into the sink.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401036514.774070.jpg

The tasters choice is one that must be added after hot water, otherwise a burnt taste. Never thought it would matter but it sure does!

How's the roasting going? I am seriously looking into a roaster. What are you using?

I use a cast iron pan and just shake the beans. Saw it done like that at an Ethiopian restaurant. It works well if you pay attention and keep the beans moving. Best tasting coffee ever. No acid tast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a link on my first post. Roasting is going good. It is about time to order some more beans. Try a couple new ones and reorder Nicaruaguan and Peru.

The roaster works quite well. Its only flaw, other than being kind of small, is that the roast is sometimes a little uneven. Not really a big deal. It had the best rating of small roasters.

You can use a crank popcorn popper as well. Constantly cranking or shaking for 5 or 6 minutes sounded like it would get old to me. Beans pop like popcorn and the hull that comes off is called chaff. The chaff will scorch and smoke up your house. The roaster I am using has a chaff collector that gets it out of the roasting chamber.

I thought if I enjoy roasting enough to keep doing it I could upgrade or build my own larger roaster and sell or find a new home for my little one. You actually don't want to roast more than you can use up in a week anyway. My neighbors opened up a coffee shop in town and I have to quiz them if they are buying fresh roasted or considered roasting their own.

There is a small world-famous roaster here on the coast called Thanksgiving Coffee. For the past 40 years I've been smelling the great smell of roasting coffee when the wind blows just right. It's a nice smell. That's cool that you are roasting your own.

We've done it with an old hot air popcorn popper before, it worked ok. The smoke is pretty nasty when things are just getting going. I'll never do it indoors again.

Cobleskill, the best coffee I've ever had comes from a business called New Day Coffee on Niagara Falls Blvd in town of Wheatfield. Try the Dark Knight, I'm a customer for life. They'll sell it all roasted or green if you like roasting your own.

Johhny, New Day is where I buy my green beans from. It used to be the father there most of the time. Now seems like the daughter is doing it all.

I will have to try the DK.

I am up on shore of Lake Ontario around Wilson. Where is your home base?

I'm in Amherst, pretty close to UB North campus.
First tree service I ever worked for was Mohawk in Wilson. That guy has some kinda temper on the job lol. I've had worse bosses though, at least he made sure we always got paid right.

You have been to Ethiopia? Along with coffee beans, they mine all types of gemstones. Opal and Emerald some of the best. Did you get wind of any gemstones?

No. I believe it was in DC or Baltimore. High Ethiopian population and great restaurants. I would love to go there though

Haha that's dumb enough to put a lot of people over the edge. Probably pissed off someone at department of labor or IRS too.

No afraid not. Tree guys?
Unless you mean Dougherty (Sp? Pronounced like " dockerty)?
Jim taught me to climb, and Don is just brilliant. The best ground man I've ever worked with.

John and Tim have worked for Mohawk for quite a few years. They had a blow out and quit him for a while but are back with him again. I think Bill got punched in the blow out.

Tim and Bill are both hotheads. They have been with him since the late 90s I would say.

Back