What Are The Odds?

GemCutter

TreeHouser
As new recreational climber, I wanted to try out a my new NT Onyx saddle and try some short limb walks today.

I wanted to get the rope over a limb at about 60' to make it easier to get use to going out on limbs down at 30'-35' up. I got the throw line through where I wanted on the second try with the Big Shot and was very happy. I needed to pull the throw bag all the way back up to get it off of a small dead limb a few feet above the big limb. I carefully got it through all the small limbs of the surrounding trees and thought I had it made when it got to the dead limb......................and promptly hung up.:X Flipping wouldn't free it and hard pulls didn't break it loose. Even with binoculars I couldn't see how it could be hung up.

I finally gave up and found a small hole through the limbs and got another line over a crotch higher up, worked it into position down both sides of the trunk and placed my climbing rope.

This is what I found 65' up...what are the odds of getting the line in that small slit (yeah I know...100% for me)?

IMG_4403 (Small)noted.jpg

Looking down at the offending throw line.

IMG_4405 (Small).JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I figured you guys might get a chuckle out of it. At least I got to try out the saddle and using a lanyard to hold my position while the Silky put that limb on the ground.

As for the NT Onyx...me likey.

I think that Onyx is going to be my next saddle. . . Pesky dead limbs, I've hung more throw lines on Rec climbs than anything else. haha.

I'll prune on a rec climb too. While I'm there I figure I may as well do the tree a favor. I've climbed with people who were concerned about interfering with nature where I left my saws on the ground... to each their own I guess.

I don't think your doing the tree a favour.:?
For safety, fair enough but the tree won't thank you.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no hippy but something seams slightly wrong to me, cutting off habitat deadwood for no reason apart from, because your throw line got stuck on it.
As adam_p said. Each to their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why did you you lose the deadwood for a rec climb?beautiful habitat. Or was it in your yard?
J8)

I don't think your doing the tree a favour.:?
For safety, fair enough but the tree won't thank you.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no hippy but something seams slightly wrong to me, cutting off habitat deadwood for no reason apart from, because your throw line got stuck on it.
As adam_p said. Each to their own.

The tree is on the edge of my yard and I will want to get a rope over the originally intended limb for future climbs. There is plenty of deadwood left in that tree and the other 3 wooded acres of my property. I imagine I am as protective of the trees and habitat as anyone here.

Someone cut a dead limb off a tree?! Think of all the dead wildlife laying at the base of the tree now!

Its one dead limb. Who cares? Dead wood CAN be habitat. Doesn't mean every dead limb is loaded with wildlife. Don't mistake the sanctuary of a dead/hollow woodland tree for a dead stub on a tree.

I'll prune on a rec climb too. While I'm there I figure I may as well do the tree a favor. I've climbed with people who were concerned about interfering with nature where I left my saws on the ground... to each their own I guess.

If they are that worried about interfering with nature, they need to stay out of trees. Climbing them spooks birds and occasionally you smush an ant with your boot. Ive heard more asinine stuff in this thread then I had hoped to.

Someone cut a dead limb off a tree?! Think of all the dead wildlife laying at the base of the tree now!

Its one dead limb. Who cares? Dead wood CAN be habitat. Doesn't mean every dead limb is loaded with wildlife. Don't mistake the sanctuary of a dead/hollow woodland tree for a dead stub on a tree.

I thought that.

The tree is on the edge of my yard and I will want to get a rope over the originally intended limb for future climbs. There is plenty of deadwood left in that tree and the other 3 wooded acres of my property. I imagine I am as protective of the trees and habitat as anyone here.

That's cool, makes sense to prune for future climbs, makes it easier for you and it's justified.
As for deadwooding, absolutely, probably a majority of our works involves deadwooding, in a urban environment or adjacent targets ect.
Again, I'm no hippy or Eco warrior by any means, but something just didn't sit right with me. Perhaps it was the beers last night and I got a little exited watching motogp.who knows.
As said each to their own, no sweat.:thumbup:
J8)

Back