Hitch Hiker Tethers

GemCutter

TreeHouser
I'm wondering if there is any consensus (probably wishful thinking) on what works best as a tether for tending the HH.

I made a wire tether from a high tensile strength bicycle wheel spoke which got bent up on my last climb when I wasn't using it. I was about to order a tether from TreeStuff last night when I decided I should at least see if one of my sewing machines could do the job.

Surprisingly, it worked well enough at stitching 6mm accessory cord for a tending tether. After stitching the eyes, I dipped it in MaxiJacket to provide some stiffness. It may need dipped another time or two and it may need to be longer. Here's some photos. The first two are before dipping.

IMG_4390 (Small).JPG

IMG_4391 (Small).JPG

IMG_4396 copy (Small).jpg

What are the rest of you using? Photos would be great. Thanks

F0ED6254-D1B8-4F34-84B7-C143FDA6FDC7-193-0000000AF7DD8E55_zpsda53c8f0.jpg

1/8" stainless and makes a nice trap as well

Wow what kind of sewing machine do you have. That stitching looks great and should work really well as long as the eyes are tight enough to grip the biner well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is beautiful. It will work perfect.

Thanks. I see you're in Indy. I'm an hour south in Columbus.

...Made mine from a leather belt.

I've seen a few photos of leather tethers. I assume the eyes are cut snug. Does it stay in place well?

Wow what kind of sewing machine do you have. That stitching looks great and should work really well as long as the eyes are tight enough to grip the biner well.

Yep. I made the eyes tight enough that it took a little force to get the biner in the first time.

I used one of my late '50s Necchi Supernova sewing machines because it was already set up with Gutermann Terra 40 thread from making end loops on webbing tree straps for hammocks. The 6mm cord is probably it's limit because the presser foot doesn't go much higher and the stitch width was at it's maximum. The accessory cord doesn't have much resistance to the needle and I think most machines that can zig zag stitch would work.

Keep the photos coming. Thanks

I need to shorten it, likely tomorrow. That will pull the biner and knot (don't always have a splice) away from the hitch. It works out decently. I can then have two biners on the bridge ring, for the extra slack tender option. It works sorta like the hitch climber pulley, and well enough that I haven't changed, or gone to tying in with a long flatter knot like a bowline.

I'll report back.

I just got the tapatalk4 app for the TH, but don't know how to post pics from it.

I tried just a short tether for the DdRT.

Twisted the HH a bit, causing more friction, and I was using it dry-crotched, which is usually a herky jerky affair.

I think that I will try to make a long loop with tied eyes. I think that I should still be able to clip a small biner from it to my daisy-chained elastic cord that advances my ropewalker floating ascender and HH simultaneously. The longer clip in loop would be a pretty irrelevant aspect for DdRT termination of the working end. The knot (if not using a spliced rope) would then be above the HH hitch cord, and not causing a problem of interfering with the hitch and also not tipping the HH, bending the rope about 15-20 degrees, and causing too much friction for dry-crotching (at least as much as I've done). Did I ever mention ever that I hate inconsistent friction with DdRT?

Back