Bird Watching!

I had no idea chickens were so cool but a couple custyys clued me in.

I ve seen a bunch of bald eagles around here lately, quite thrilling for me cuz normally it would be only every 3-4 years to spot one. Got a pic showing its snow white tail but not quality enough to be worth posting. Anyway, cool stuff

Legal in the city limits here... odd, after all the avian flu scare a few years back, why chance it in a metro area? I guess just to be off kilter, quirky and all that!

Oh, those things... :P
8 of them fishing down below the dam on the Kansas River. I'll try to get some pics of them when it's not so cloudy/foggy out.

When I worked in the queen charlottes bald eagles were everywhere. I once collected a flight feather from one still warm on the tip after it dropped it on the beach. I bet I had s dozen eagle feathers from the one summer I worked there. They were always on the beach, endless numbers of them. I've heard it is/was technically illegal for a whitey like me to collect a eagles feather there. Weird rascist bs shit that I never adhered to. Oh and I guess I mean Haida gwai not the queen charlottes. Gotta be politically correct would sure hate to offend anyone.

We have a whole flock of them.... at the shit plant no less lol.

WTH???:whine:

When I worked in the queen charlottes bald eagles were everywhere. I once collected a flight feather from one still warm on the tip after it dropped it on the beach. I bet I had s dozen eagle feathers from the one summer I worked there.

Good chit!!!

Lol yeah there was a tree they sat in. Right by the river, and obviously the discharge chutes.... so they had plenty to eat:lol: They would just chill there, and then eat whenever they thought they wanted to, then back in the tree. They seemed quite content, and had all the wildlife they wanted to gorge themselves on, and probably not a strong sense of smell lol

I've got a wing feather from a grey eagle on the wall behind me as I type.
One of my old apprentices found it and gave it to me.:)

Grey eagle, is that native to your area, Ive never heard of it here

They're big birds, the White-bellied sea eagle here is around the same size.

Never seen one in the wild because I don't get to the coast, but saw one in a private zoo once in a cage. Those zoo's are gone now thankfully, terrible thing to do to it.

Video just for size, don't like these places much either.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VLvqgfuZOk8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

M and I have picked up a few golden eagle primary flight feathers over the years. Definitely illegal here, but...it's just a big feather I found on the ground in the Sawtooths is all I know, officer.
:)

A few years ago, when i was really bored i saw a show on nat geo about some guys in Tibet or something using golden eagles to hunt.... wolves. Absolutely insane that a bird could kill something that big with no problems at all. So i looked into it, and apparently in Illinois it is completely legal to own a golden eagle, but you have to be a registered falconer for at least 5 years and own different birds till you can work up to the responsibility of owning such an animal. Same with certain owls too. I always thought that would be a really cool hobby when I'm older... but i don't think i have a rural enough spot to use them. My luck it would fly back with somebody's cat or dog or something :lol:

I had a couple friends who were into it. One guy worked a falcon for a bit at the local airport killing pigeons and my other buddy had a bald eagle. Elvis. It was cool and sad at the same time.

Hahahahahahaha nice. As far as limiting their life by "not letting them fly" i don't think i agree. When you are on the level of keeping an eagle, it's a full time job kinda thing, especially if you are hunting it. Because you let the bird free, it does it's thing, and comes back, because that's where it feels comfortable and constantly fed. It will enjoy a dramatically longer life, safe and comfortable living arrangements, and the opportunity to fly virtually daily. I'm sure I'll never do it, but being friends and partners with such a majestic creature would be awesome and rewarding for both the handler and the bird.

https://youtu.be/tWFtWzFbXCY

https://youtu.be/PaJ_xOY_QD4

Yah my buddy with the falcons was real good at it lived and breathed it. His main bird lived free on his property(rural) and you could sit on his porch and whoever put the gauntlet on and held there hand out when he called it in it would swoop in in no time and land on you. Super cool.

My other buddy with the eagle, never got even close to that level and eventually sold the eagle to someone else which was the right thing to do. By the end of his ownership even he couldn't really get near the eagle without risk to life or limb. I certainly never entered within striking range of its tether not once.

So it can be rewarding and awesome, or cruel and unusual as per my limited first hand experience.

Back