Bird Watching!

Wow, Fun. Birds are awesome.

We get the Ruby crowned kinglet here....

Hooded orioles, Wilson Warblers are my latest... I just found some baby robins in a nest today.
White crowned sparrows seem to dominate the park just more so than song sparrows.

Our resident hummingbirds are the Anna's and Allens...... ZzzzzzzzzChup!

Mainly Red tails and Red Shoulders...... and little Coopers.....

Birds.

We watch as well my wife loves her feeders. Currently have a pair of wrens with three just hatched eggs, amazing how much a pair can feed them in a hr, more than 20 caterpillars. My favorite is the pileated woodpecker next to owls.

Learning the birds in Tasmania now, the blue wren is one of the cutest and most colourful.

A favourite with just about everyone, hard to get a good picture of one because they're pretty quick. They change colour a bit, we don't get the dark blue only see this one around here.

blue 1.jpg blue 2.jpg

That's if I see one at all, they used to be everywhere but the asian miner has wiped out a lot of natives. http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/04/08/2044900.htm

Haven't used this since Che was around, she got a kick out of some of them. Blue Wren sound file. http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/sit...et/files/factsheets/audio/malurus-cyaneus.mp3

If you've got a bush yard like me the Noisy Miner will take over and drive out the asian miner, sometimes he need a bit of help though.:/:

They gang up on any predators and can make a racket. http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/sit...s/factsheets/audio/manorina-melanocephala.mp3

I was on a job a few years ago and one kept swooping on me, she kept at it till I looked in the chipper chute. I'd put her nest in there and a baby, it couldn't get out because it had a bit of cotton around it's leg. Cut it loose and off they went.

A couple of locals.

P1290034.jpg sat. novo7 004.jpg

Being a soaring pilot, I tend to love soaring birds. I shared many a thermal with red tails and turkey vultures. Twice with a bald eagle. Nothing like twisting it up in a thermal and looking down on the symbol of freedom.

I see many swallows at 4000-5000ft above the ground. Odd to see a little bird so high whiz past you.

Other birds just boggle my mind. The Alpine Swift for example spends 6 months of the year in the air without landing.....ever. http://www.livescience.com/40268-alpine-swifts-fly-nonstop.html

Or the Godwit that makes a 7000mile migration non-stop.

I'm not a birder but if I'm blessed enough to take up the rocking chair someday, I plan on taking it up as a hobby.

I'd love to go see the sandhill cranes in their big flocks at the bosque in New Mexico. Maybe I could catch Leon on his migration as well and grab a beer.....

I remember a magpie attack video posted here once, not sure if it was you or me. Or maybe it was a gif, can't find it but they can get a bit stroppy sometimes.

Get quite a few hanging around here, pretty friendly usually. My favourite bird really.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=77e131e109a9" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Persistent little buggers!

I always hear aussie pilots complaining abut having wings torn up by wedge tail eagle attacks.

Man, beautiful in Australia. I gotta get back there again.

Manilla is the spot, I guess you know that but there's plenty of others.

Wedge tails are coming back now, lost a lot with the 1080 baiting for rabbits & foxes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dnaOflPuWCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We have these Black Kites all over. Birds of prey that are cool to watch soaring on the thermals. Pretty impressive to see on the electric lines with their wings spread wide to dry after a rain.

Nice shot! What gear?

Here's my new cannon. it's a 500 f/4.5L, non IS...last made circa 1997. It cost me $8500..............

........less than the current gold plated f/4 model, which of course has IS.
New 500.jpg
Shot these the last couple days:
Northern Flicker
14050045171_347825f7f0_o_d.jpg

red breasted nuthatch
14053642984_79ca911781_o_d.jpg

Red breasted sapsucker
14066839484_9861a17fdd_o_d.jpg

Wow that's some camera! And simply awesome photos!

Steve, we saw a wedgie the other day out the back of Oatlands here in Tassie, there are a good few of them. What was odd (too us) was that this one had almost orange feathers around its head...maybe he'd been up to it in a snack of sheep or possum?

Burnham, we have a connection (of sorts) in 1987, my hubby and I were chartered with our schooner to host a birdwatchers trip to the Bahamas, among those on board was Alexander Sprunt (Sandy) IV (or was it III), must be your chap's grandson, he was then head of the National Audubon Society, he lived in the Keys where 'formal' means wear socks (his description!)...he showed us how to clean and prepare conch for conch salad, really cool guy!
Also on board was Howard Brokaw the head of the World Wildlife Fund, Dr. David Wingate, Bermuda's foremost ornitholigist and conservation pioneer ( a mentor of mine), a friend of theirs whose name I can't recall right now and the Gov't horticulturalist Barry Phillips and his second Jeremy Madieros (the chap in the photo I posted) who is now the chief Conservation officer.

We spent a month pootling around the Bahamas while they all did their bird thing, then we went way out to the outer islands with Wingate on his own to look for the migration route for black-capped petrels, the closest relation to the Bermuda Cahow. Smack dab in the middle of a passage between two islands, just after dawn, after an overnight sail, which is where WIngate told us he needed to be, didn't he see them flying by just where he said they would be!

Good fun all around, super easy people to get along with.

It's a photo I pulled off the web, Roger. The device is a Canon EOS 30D. Sorry, I don't know about the lens. Great photos you're taking!

I do a little bird watching in front of my pointer's nose, otherwise its limited. I do have a heron or crane rookery a few hundred yards down behind my woodyard in the woods. I should take a picture this week. There's often 50 of them there this time of year. 2 big beech trees in woods with a lot of nests in each. Birds leave there each morning and head in every direction and spread out miles and miles apart. Pretty neat but its filthy around the rookery.

At sea on the Enterprise, during a storm, an Albatross flew into the hanger bay and I ran across him. He was weak as hell and about half dead... I put him in a box and placed it where no one could bother it and it could fly away when he was ready. I checked on it a couple times and he was happy as a clam. The storm passed and I checked the box - no bird. He wasn't white at all, all dark colored.

Great pic, Leon. Great story, MB

Do you guys in the states ever see Cuckoo birds, or hear them? I read where they are vagrant birds, sometimes appearing well outside their normal range, including in the states.

...appreciate the crazy migrations and behaviors....Cedar Waxwings come every year late in summer for the fruit from the one Juneberry tree here...the smaller Bohemians breed in the friggin' Arctic and fly to down to New England to Winter where it's "warm"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love is in the air again! These silly bastards running all over the place with only one thing on their mind! The will try to chase off a pickup that enters their territory.

images (4).jpg

Chinese Ring Necked Pheasant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never seen a Cuckoo Jay. We dont get a lot of vagrants this far inland.

I do want to see a Siberian Blue Robin one day though. My book says it shows up in Alaska sometimes. Good reason to go to Alaska!

siberian_blue_robin_B13K5949.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Relocating a nest after a windstorm blew it out of a Euc.

Birds are super cool because they are like little dinosaurs.

Nate, Incredible story of soaring with swallows and all the such.

Steve, Australia is beautiful. Magpies, like any Corvid seem to dominate the thinking games.

Roger, Le WoW!

Great Thread, FFZ....

Took me a minute to figure out the deeply cryptic meaning of FFZ.

Nice to know there is a little 'twitch' in all of us!
Keep the pictures coming, they are wonderful. :)

Do you guys in the states ever see Cuckoo birds, or hear them? I read where they are vagrant birds, sometimes appearing well outside their normal range, including in the states.

We have a few, the Koel migrates down from Indonesia about spring. You know it's spring when you get woken about 1 or 2am to this, only a bit louder. I don't mind it but a lot of people don't.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GoBlkaGJk4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The male looks pretty good if you can get to see one, they like courting at night and sure get around. They like my mulberry tree but I've never been able to get a good picture of one.

koelmalenfifer.jpg
koelfemnfifer.jpg

Back