Bird Watching!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw 4 vultures today. Walking around looking for mice I guess.

They better stay away from my huns if they know whats good for them.

I had the breaks locked up on my grain truck trying to get away from about 1000 baby huns today.

I was shooting my pellet gun at magpies and starlings today. Usually I'm a live and let live sort of guy.........but not today!

A lot quieter around here now. Plus I don't want my robins getting overrun. A bird I actually enjoy.

Shot my second and third great grey owls near last evening's awesome party. Ironically enough, my first was just last week in my stump grinding associate's woods. Tasty!!

Enjoy, I did...and do!

From the text on my FB page: Two great grey owls, chilling at 10 and 20 feet off the ground, a few minutes from the party, at the edge of Tim Tweet's woods, right next to the the turnaround of his gravel driveway. — at Lovely Lake Louise, Lakewood, Wa.

13558915_10208516982534828_4316329372888954522_o.jpg

13590250_10208516987734958_7264745253356045927_n.jpg

I'm still at a Starbucks in Lakewood, 50 plus miles from home, using the wifi and on my second cuppa, thanks to a typical three hour sleep night. It's cloudy with the sun peeking out now and then. Planning to hit up a fireworks show somewhere, maybe the big one on Lake Union in Seattle...Just need to plan ahead for a parking spot..and be ready with charged batteries and remote controls that I have read the instructions on to know how to use them. I have three cameras and tripods, so I'd best get cracking, eh?

I read the first sentence of the owl pic post and was like " who the f shoots owls? ", I then realised he meant shoots pics, nice work.

Now I realise he does shoot owls after all, that's fine with me if its for food :)

hahaha...he just heard 150 rounds of ammo whiz by...or whack that limb. Then he dropped to the ground still attached to the stinking limb...good reason to be pissed!

Glad he made it. Good shooting by the soldier.

Most of us would have climbed the tree and lowered the limb and eagle down to the ground...different skill sets.

Chris, you'd didn't sense my sarcasm font? :cry: "Shoot" is a common term used by photographers...... I sure as hell would never shoot a bird, especially a protected one! And I don't hunt.

No but I could feel a couple wanted to. Maybe I'll try to get a pic of my young robin that's being raised in my barn to get back in the good books.

Always...I do eat lotsa chickenses...No bird flippin from me, Squish.... starlings are pests, I know. We don't have magpies here..... And crows endlessly pester other birds--bacause they are smart --smart asses, lol.

I'm doing penance for hitting a bird with a rock when I was a young pup..... I've long forgotten what kind of bird...

Don't worry with my pellet gun skills it's mostly a scare tactic.

I get a lot of cool birds around my place but the magpies are what pushed me over the top. A clever, somewhat interesting bird that I wouldn't mind having even a few around. When like 25+ show up and squawk and carry on......well then it's time to move on.

And to prove my love of birds a pic of my young robin in my barn. Now Roger I don't want you stealing this shot for your albums without my approval. :D
image.jpg

Justin, even though I'm a birder, I'm completely cool with your "shoot the pesky ones " way.
I routinely annihilate any cat that enters the property, so who am I to point the finger at you.

And crows endlessly pester other birds--bacause they are smart --smart asses, lol.
Crows, they are definitely hit listers for me (I hope Jay doesn't see this!). I've watched them gang up and draw momma birds off the nest too many times while another sneaks in and gobbles the babies to have much mercy on them.

Hey Roger, there's so much gun talk on here I just assumed you shoot em with both depending on the mood/ hungry or not lol. Its now noted you're strictly photography. I'm also guilty of the rock thing, mine was a sea gull.

Crows, they are definitely hit listers for me (I hope Jay doesn't see this!). I've watched them gang up and draw momma birds off the nest too many times while another sneaks in and gobbles the babies to have much mercy on them.

Wow that is crazy teamwork. Couple months ago i was up in a tree and saw a crow fly by with robin's egg in his beak, he landed on top of a utility pole and proceeded to dine on his harvest.

Or even for the way we homo sapiens are, I suppose :D. Makes crows look like the highest order of good Samaritans ever :).

Back