Bird Watching!

I finally got the feeders up a month too late .No finches and seed eaters yet,a few humming birds . The usual amount of red tail hawks in the skies .No eagles so far .We have them but they are rare .

What kind of Eagles?

I saw one of these this year, apparently there was an unordinary amount of these in the area I think because of a long, cool spring.

75224491-1200px.jpg

Western Tanager

Saw a Great Blue Heron today by a tiny pond at the big Geico center where my girlfriend works.
Hanging out waiting for a fish or a frog probably.
DB5E3CC0-B608-4EA9-A585-AACA86EBEF44.jpg

The riser in the big pond at work rotted out, and the water drained out aside from ~1'. This past summer beavers moved in and blocked the riser, and now the pond's overfilled and draining through the emergency spillway. Aside from the critters screwing up a bunch of trees, it looks pretty good. A blue heron moved in, as well as some kind of egret, or perhaps a green heron. Haven't seen it close enough yet. The pond hasn't looked this lively in awhile. I'm fairly pleased with the beaver's work :^)

That one is probably gonna be heading out on a long flight for warmer climates soon. Most nights get to the low 40s F now, and we’ve had freezing temperatures in October plenty of times. Rarely snow so early but it’s happened.

I love that I get the opportunity to watch birds on their migration from cloud base on the Gulf Coast. Yesterday I climbed over 2 bald eagles until they caught up with me. I tried to follow but they quickly call checkmate, taking the dominant position from my blind spot (above and behind). I managed to get a GoPro clip of one of the following me. I should have taken more. We had played a few rounds of chase until I moved on my way.

Lots of hawks, buzzards, swallows, and a few eagles.
https://youtu.be/K5GPTA9algQ

Very cool!

The book Ravens in Winter was excellent, now I want to read Mind of the Raven

I saw a couple pileateds yesterday. They're super cool birds. For some reason, they come off looking more "prehistoric" than other birds.

Google tells me pileated woodpecker is 16-19 inches body length, while blue jay is 8.7 to 12 inches body length. Crow is about the same as the pileated.
:P

Back