Pole saw comparison...

Geez I'm glad we've got some tech savvy guys here...I was all like, yay another girl posting...damn girls pretending to be real arborists...hmmph!

Ahhh, Fiona, thanks for chiming in. You may have restored my hope for the rest of us tree guys here. :) I didn't think it was just a picture with clevage that made any of the rest of us respond.

Actually I have met at least a couple of tree women in person and have thought that if I go to hire a climber some day searching out local female climbers may be one way to tend towards the more care about work results and softened respect etc. toward customers that I would want in a climber.

The moment she started praising Husqvarna, I figured: "Troll"!

Ew4GxPg.gif

(Back on topic) I had the Echo power pruner when i was doing property maintenance in Fort Myers, FL. It was just great, no complaints. I was mostly dressing up palm trees (getting rid of dead palm fronds), so it was rather light-duty use. I was sad when I had to leave it behind with the job, would definitely go for it again if given the chance. Meanwhile, our crew has the Stihl HT. It is functional, if a bit heavier than what I remember of the Echo. Now after a year of fairly rugged use (ornamentals sometimes, some maples, but usually hard woods), it is giving up in key mechanical areas. The power pruner head has slowly been bending to the side, so it cuts extremely crooked. That led to the bar oil tank cracking. Now the telescoping joint alternately sticks but now it has hyper-extended after getting stuck in a mullberry. The main right angle gear in the power pruner head is also not engaging, so it's at least time for a new head. Expensive repairs/replacement parts are what we are facing going into spring.

Welcome Forestkeepers!

Power pole chainsaws are delicate things. I watched my friend pull on his, $400 worth of pulling, when it was stuck. Pull it apart.

Relief cuts, facecuts, and pulling the tool away from the falling branch are all key.

I don't use my Kombisystem pole chainsaw a lot, but its 10 years old, and still in need of a repair. Employees rarely use it.

Employees and delicate tools often don't mix.

I watched my old boss use the new $300+ telescopic Silky manual for a push stick out of the bucket, which tangled in the piece he just cut. It bent on the first day. Drive over a saw on the first day and it will only last a day, as well.

THIS!!!

pulling the tool away from the falling branch

It only took me one time bending the shaft to learn that! :X

Yes, that is the way for sure... the Mulberry was on the fenceline, I was just startled by a pit bull leaping up on the other side of the fence, ferociously snarling at me! That's what caused the "jerk away and run for your life" reaction!

(Back on topic) The power pruner head has slowly been bending to the side, so it cuts extremely crooked. .

So that just kind of happens super gradually, like erosion.

Sorry, but I gotta call bullshit on that.

Only thing that will cause that is using the tool wrong.

Bars are inexpensive.

Dogs startling you, happens.

I'd say more of lifting it up out of the cut, and don't think you can hope your way out of a bind. Pulling it away seems more likely to get bound or grabbed.

Facecuts and hinges help where snap-cuts pinch.

Forestkeepers, have you lurked for a period, or totally new to the TreeHouse?

FWIW, Don't take things personally, like Stig "calling bullshit". He, like me, just says what we think to be true. You can be blunt with most here, if respectful.
Stig was about to call BS on me about something technical, but upon much searching, I found my reputable source. We all learned from the discussion, I think.

I ain't truthfull, but I'm always blunt:D

Sorry, Forestkeepers.
I didn't realize you were new to the 'House, or I would have been more softspoken.

I'm known for being softspoken around here.:D

... we ARE an opinionated bunch. Every polesaw at the ski area had been pinched , pulled , bent , dropped , smashed by limbs and trees when on the ground , and without fail run over by vehicles.

At least with Silky manual polesaws you can replace any part that gets damaged...I know.

So that just kind of happens super gradually, like erosion. ... Only thing that will cause that is using the tool wrong.
Truth be told, we have a bit of an uneven crew. One really experienced, one fairly broken in, and two greener ground boys that wield the saws on the ground (and sometimes hit the dirt!). But the Stihl HT133 has taken about a year's worth of abuse and made us our money back on it, so we can afford to repair it. We joke on the crew about specific warranty exclusions and voiding behaviors that we exhibit. There are specific Forest Keeper exclusion clauses on every warranty and insurance policy we touch. :D

Forestkeepers, have you lurked for a period, or totally new to the TreeHouse?
I've been around the block a bit, ya. Lurked some for sure. Been buying TreeStuff gear for years now. But August Hunicke's plugs for the TreeHouse is what finally pushed me in. That, and we've been working hard over the past year to establish our new "branch" in the KC metro area, so now we have our online ducks in a row (shiny new web site with some decent content, a year's worth of pics and videos, a YouTube channel, Facebook, Twitter, blowing up the Google Local scene, HomeAdvisor, etc.). It feels like it's time to take a one year victory lap and also do a little "networking" and socializing. So howdy all!

Back