Pole saw comparison...

Plan-b

TreeHouser
I am looking into getting myself a new pole saw.

Stihl HT131 or a Husqvarna 327pt5s

School me on what you like or dislike about the pole saw you use.

Any failures? Any other opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Get the Echo, if it is available near you. Ive had em for years. Echo products are virtually bulletproof, and usually underpowered, and that adds up to a good stick saw.

No, but I don't think I'm gonna find a stick saw that cuts fast like a topping saw, so, the echoes last for yeeears

The Echo is a god choice. Just put a new engine in mine. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Cheap to repair as well. I have had nothing but issues with every Husky pole saw I have ever touched. Stihl is nice, but repairs are pricey.

Get the Echo, if it is available near you. Ive had em for years. Echo products are virtually bulletproof, and usually underpowered, and that adds up to a good stick saw.

Underpowered? Was that a typo? If not, how is that a good thing?

We are looking to buy a multi attachment system from either Stihl or Echo so this is a timely thread for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bulletproof and underpowerd go hand in hand. Not enough power to self distruct, everything last longer when the power is low.

I don't like the trigger on the Echo pole saw.

The Husky is telescopic also.

Not when I bought it was a two piece design. I find pole saws kind of a PITA they are heavy and limited in reach but love them for storm damage work cutting apart snarled messes from a distance.

After they changed the engine on the Stihl to the 4-stroke model, it has completely changed the performance of the saw.

The 4-stroke has WAY more torque, it is a completely different animal.

...I owned a Stihl HT, which I eventually sold to landscaper friends...used the Husky at the Ski Area.... I suppose the Stihl was a bit tougher and heavier ...they both performed okay...but as a climber I can do a much neater job trimming up close....have enough non mechanical pole gear...just don't like chainsaws on a stick...maybe for Apple Orchard work

Underpowered? Was that a typo? If not, how is that a good thing?

It's not a good thing, but it's just the way it is with echo. And you aren't gonna get a lot of power in a stick saw afaik. And if you do it'll be heavy.

Bulletproof and underpowerd go hand in hand. Not enough power to self distruct, everything last longer when the power is low.

Good points, I never thought of it that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anyone own a husqvarna 327pt5s? Use one?

The ht131 is heavy, but it does work well...

I know parts are cheeper for the husqvarna when you smash it.

I've got a stihl ht something or other, it's ok, wouldn't be without it, my landscaper mate has an Echo, I'd get one of those if I Had to replace the stihl.

You can have more reach with the Echo, if you buy the extension... you would just not want to have to wield that beast with an extension, I can assure you. My rule is, if 12 feet of stick can't safely cut it, I am climbing. And if I have to climb the tree anyway, the stick saw is only going to cut my way in if needed. Which is often needed here. Most my jobs have never been pruned an the trees are often all the way to the ground. You cut your way into the trunk of the tree.

The problem of Stihl HT131 is the boom keeps coming unattached from the shaft (it literally pulls out). Too heavy to use for long periods. The oil filler cap is very difficult to use. My friend just got it out, filled with oil and put the cap back on. It fell off on the first cut and oil went everywhere.

Husqvarna 327PT5S saw is everything you expected and more, it is very well balanced even fully extended. You don't wast any time putting it to work trimming your tree, it had no problem cutting through a 7-inch branch.

The trick with the oil filler cap is not to overfill, but to leave room for the cap.

Back