Labor-Saving Techniques and Tools

Ruel, vid said 'removed by user' but I would like to see that. I've been roof raking the eves a lot this winter with a basic roof rake with a couple little wheels on it to save the shingles…works like a charm and is fun to boot, and completely eliminates ice dams which are more and more of a problem as the winter progresses.

Hows things in ME now?

I guess the guy pulled the snow removal video, probably because it showed a bunch of kids jumping at the peak to get the snow moving and sliding off the roof... Imagine he was getting some flack for that.

Here is another video, similar idea. Skip to 1:00. Their method of wrapping the wire around the snow works on simple roofs, but I don't think it would work with anything more complex.
We have just been using one guy at the peak and one on the ground to saw as close to the roof as we can. Then the guy on the peak uses an upside down roof rake to push the snow block. It helps to follow the lay of the roof caps.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D3aiqUMNOF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The trick of it is to scoot a corner of the blade under the COG of the log, use the handle as a 4' lever, with a slightly less than 1' extension on the blade (4:1), then pivot the log end over the handle. It will roll a heavy log through a gate or down a slope, with the weight carried totally on the axle. Carries barrels and firewood.

NO substitute for the Arbor Trolley overall, but definitely shines when levering longer logs up, in a way the AT doesn't. And cheap mods to a Harbor Freight hand truck that has been used for 8 years, maybe more. Half the weight. 1/7 the price.

That 2-wheeler looks like a real economical work horse, Sean.
Thanks for the great ideas for one man maneuvering, transporting and loading.

It you get the far end of the log on the trailer, you're then able to slide a log on with some manipulation, minimal lifting. Cut on the trailer or drag off with power.

If you can start to rustle up people willing to pick up wood, you can just get the wood to a public road, and sell it cheap or give away. More money that way than processing and delivering.

I bought a $1199 Huskee 22t splitter. I can move it myself, easily enough done with 2 people on rough ground. Nothing has stopped it yet. It's not invincible, of course. I rent it to customer's I can trust for $75-100. Let them use it a little bit each day for a week, after their removal job. Doesn't take long to pay for itself, and I've had lots of use. 34t splitters I've rented are way heavier. I roll the machine to the wood.

If you're splitting by hand, you're working too hard.

Yes, soon after the Ogre arrived. Moves the chipper well, too.

I was mostly saying that what might seem wimpy at 22 tons can do a lot for Robert without breaking the bank or back.

My 22ton splitter has done hunnndreds of cords over the years with minimal up keep. a tire, some starter cord, a recoil spring, and thats about it aside from oil, original plug (no joke) 14 years and still splitting.
Most of my customers wouldn't even know what a splitter is. I am glad you can do that psudo rental thing.

...If you're splitting by hand, you're working too hard.

Thanks for all the great advice, Sean!

haha, a youtube buddy, Tim H. Gruchow, up in Minnesota, is the source of much of my original inspiration and/or vision and/or direction for my firewood and tree removal business vision and he splits all his wood by hand. He is a couple of years younger than I am.... but if possible I figure spitting by hand is sort of a fallback or "safety net" for trying to get into or stay in shape! :)

I love splitting by hand. It impedes me making money though, as I get tendonitis readily from hand splitting, plus handling lots of firewood.

I don't know that I want to go back to wood heating...too much extra strain on top of climbing/ felling and some groundwork.

We have a fireplace which is really nice for the ambiance, but of course very inefficient for heat.
I had been thinking of getting a wood burning stove for heat and then try to hardly run the central electric heat at all.
Since I'm in North Mississippi, it doesn't take a whole lot of heat to get through the winter.

I've heated most all my life with wood. And I got a little 22ton splitter a couple of years ago. After a lifetime of hand splitting it is the best thing ever. Hell I won't even split kindling by hand anymore.

Back