Labor-Saving Techniques and Tools

So you’re saying it’s a great tool but the frame is a bit weak? I’ve been eyeballing them for a while. I might build my own frame to fit a bristle kit. Still in a grey area on purchases for said “side work”. Kind of in a weird situation.

I am saying I have beat the hell out of mine. I am sure it got bent spreading piles of chips or pushing snow more likely pushing the 13yd piles of chips, I just doze right on in the pile. I can't see how you would bend one in normal use.

I'm thinking more like a rolling brush. If a single pass isn't enough with a hand rake on grass, then I figure a rolling brush would simulate several passes while rolling the whole pile ahead. Then it would help too to have gotten a bucket with an upper claw. On a smooth road, I'll loosely pick up the bucket in the log grapple and let it drag lightly on the road allowing the bucket to move itself according to the contour of the road, and it does a great job of getting stuff in a pile in one go without marking up the road much.

I'm really digging the looks of Sean's modified hand truck on page 1.
Do believe I'll have another project in the future, that looks like it'll save alot of time and energy.

2.5-3.5" protrusions, I'd guess. It does work my AT doesn't/ can't.

The chains are not the way to go. Jam-cleats and cord, maybe. The ratchet strap already on the truck!

I've bent the frame a bit, but it just adds character. Not broken.

Still truckin'!!

I'll try to get the upgraded wheels and hand-guard/ log cradle pics.

I'm thinking more like a rolling brush. If a single pass isn't enough with a hand rake on grass, then I figure a rolling brush would simulate several passes while rolling the whole pile ahead. Then it would help too to have gotten a bucket with an upper claw. On a smooth road, I'll loosely pick up the bucket in the log grapple and let it drag lightly on the road allowing the bucket to move itself according to the contour of the road, and it does a great job of getting stuff in a pile in one go without marking up the road much.

There are power brooms made to fit minis.
The BMG Rake is nice for a coarse clean up on grass/pavement it gets most all of the bigger stuff but you still have to come in with a blower and get the last crumbs. It does a better job on pavement IMO.

Image.jpg Not really labor saving but mess saving so I guess it's a wash. I am sure others have had this problem with their pole saw leaking bar. It's a gallon Ziplock bag with a shop rag in it, slice the side and your'e in business.

Same problem here...I have a gallon jug cut to slide over the bar and encapsulate the leaky culprit. Just put a paper towel in it two days ago...it controls the goo better than bare plastic. I like your solution. i'll try to remember to show mine.

What's next? Bagging our saws?

It's cool for storage, but I used my PP all the time.

My PP does not see action daily it might go a month between uses and drips out the oiler with temp changes. Not much oil but enough to make a small puddle. The bag is cheap and lasts a year or two. My saws sit on plywood and that catches any oil that leaks out.

Mine leaks for some reason. IDK why/ where, and haven't gotten around to cleaning it to inspect and fix. I see how easy the bag works. At one time, Al Smith had figured out which o-rings are needed for Stihl caps, IIRC.

I rarely use my pole saw, as it happens. Different markets, different trees. Different work. Same same, but different.

But here, we can't call that really a leak, there isn't any faulty parts or bad mounting. It's more like drooling for us. That comes from the very simple oil pump's design.
No check valve here, but only the tiny rotating/sliding shaft, which does the functions of both pumping and checking. When the engine stops, the tiny shaft can be left in a position giving an almost free path for the oil. If not, there's always the play between the shaft and its housing. The oil can be pushed (very) slowly through it by the little pressure built in the oil tank when the temp raises.

That's what I assumed was going on....I don't think I have a cracked oil tank. Sometimes it seems to leak and other times not. Maybe your explanation is why. Thanks.

I don't have time for fixing stuff, really. Luckily, my retired neighbor does, and will be my new mechanic.

He is my labor-saving tool. A sharp tool!

5EAD9C68-9549-43C2-A409-931FF3B8ACD1.jpg
I love this log splitter. Certainly saves the back. Works best if you use straighter logs and cut nubs but still. Better than the little back breaker splitters. I have the brush and clam shells for my grapple as well. The brush gets used the most. The clam shells are great for big jobs when there is a lot of debris piles to be picked up or when removing grindings. Otherwise it’s easier to load the brute can and shoulder it to the truck. There are tons of cool toys out there but I think it’s key to know when to use them and when not too

Back