Stump grinder on compact tractors

Mick!

TreeHouser
Hi there, I've got a Rayco 1625 pretty old but serviceable, has made me a lot of money but I want MORE POWER.
Now I have a 36hp diesel kubota mini tractor and I've been looking at the stump grinder attachments on you tube.
My question is this, would a attachement like this on the 3pl give me a really significant increase in productivity compared to a 25hp petrol.
Here's a pic of the tractor.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 39
Your tractor is a bit small, but Stumper Industries has a tractor mounted, PTO powered grinder attachment.

Does your tractor have a conventional transmission or a hydrostatic? Another option, which would be cheaper, more versatile, and probably more comfortable would be to run a PTO pump and mount a hydraulic version on the loader. Controllability is the main thing on those hydraulic grinder attachments, I wouldn't go that route with a manual transmission.

I could check into their plans on the PTO powered side, see if they've ran one on a tractor that small and/or have plans to make a smaller CUT version.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes it's hydrostatic, a mate of mine over here has one on his 45hp kubota and swears by it, he is however a landscaper and I haven't had the chance to see it in action.
I'll check out the website now, appreciate you looking into it.

If it's hydrostatic, I would get a >19gpm/72lpm, 3000 psi PTO pump and mount the grinder up front where you can see and use the loader to reach areas you couldn't before. Unless you have the universal skid steer quick connect on the loader, I would build my own mount for the attachment, based on the excavator mount (has 6 holes to bolt on, and cost $200 less) or the mini skid universal mount (only if you have access to a mini skid with the universal mount). With the Ex mount you could unbolt it from the tractor and run on an excavator if the need presented itself.

As far as which model, the 220 Low Flow would work, although it would be outside of its advertised specs. The 220 High Flow would be fine. Regular forum price includes free shipping inside the Continental US, doesn't really apply to you unless you know someone moving a container! Regular forum price is $4895, removing free shipping would deduct another $300 making it $4595.

Ok thanks, quick question, doesn't the use of hydraulics to power it mean one loses power at the head compared to belts,
When power is in a limited supply (36hp) I don't think I can afford to lose any to the head.

Yes, there are losses anytime power is moved. General guidelines: hydraulics are 80-90% efficient, belts are around 95%, and gear boxes 90-95%.

I've seen these around online. Never heard of one being used commercially though.

Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 11.38.44 AM.png
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Worksaver-S...141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae91a08bd

Glad to hear the 38 Special is chugging along. I agree the original belt guards were something that needed to be (and were) improved on.

Interesting, IME, the best cutting section of the wheel is 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock if you see what I mean, I think that guard would be a PITA.

Back