Sterling Tendril - Eye Splice

Stickboy

TreeHouser
Anyone spliced Tendril yet? I obtained a short the other day and have been working on splicing it but with difficulties never had before.

The rope construction is a bit different, typical double braid construction with the addition of 4 non-braided polyolefin blue strands inside. Consequently this makes the final bury a bit more bulky and very difficult (impossible for me). If I remove the inside strands just to see if that's the sole problem, the rope buries similar to poison ivy. Leave the 4 strands in and it's a no go for me.

Any ideas?

-Mike

Welcome to the house Mike!

I'd call Sterling and ask.. I couldn't find any instructions on their website. I did find some contact info though.

David Werdelin
Arbor Sales / Customer Service
Phone: 1-800-788-7673 ext. 3104
info'at'sterlingrope.com

I'd guess the splice would be similar to tachyon, which also sucks for the final bury. If you do hit up sterling let us know what they say.

How do you like the feel of the rope overall? Is it similar to anything else out there right now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Adam for the quick response.

I feel somewhat stupid for not thinking about the Tachyon splice. Very similar construction. Looking at the Tachyon instructions I more or less followed them and was successful. I put it together following them directly and post something up about my results.

I like the rope so far, have only messed with it a little, and in full disclosure I am not an arborist and my opinion would probably be less than helpful with how it'd work in the trees. I'm a city firefighter who is obsessed with learning from all the rope disciplines and crossing the knowledge back and forth between them. The rope feels similar to velocity but a bit tougher cover, and core doesn't snag on everything like velocity's does.

I'll call sterling 1st thing in the morning and see what their recommendation is.

Thanks for the help, Mike

Last edited:
I might have to get a hank of that in the future. A tougher velocity sounds nice.

Don't sweat not being an arb. I'm a full time comp guy now. There's a collection of good people from all walks of life here all very willing to share their knowledge about everything. It's a good crew, so stick around. ;)

Welcome to the House, Mike. Cool to hear you are cross-discipline learning about ropework.

My early days of climbing were in rockclimbing with Goldline climbing rope and plain oval biners and a Swiss seat. Moved into treework a few years later and we used 3 strand manila and NO biners. I started kind of sneaking some biners and rappelling into how I did things in the trees but felt like I was "cheating" by using rockclimbing ideas in trees (crazy, I know but that was how it was then).

I am all for cross discipline interchange of ideas and techniques. I'd love to get your input as you explore ropework -- we may get some good mileage (or better safety or efficiency) from your sharing.

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words.
Here's what I've learned about Tendril. I talked with Sterling, splicing instructions are coming in the near future. I should correct my previous post and say that the inner core is actually 5 strands, oops... Still the same technique dispite that difference. The splice will be very similar to Tachyon when it's published and treating it as such I was able to make the splice without much difficulty. The biggest catch I found is the bit of finesse to avoid snagging the inner 5 strands when burying the tapered cover tail. I'll pick up some Tachyon and see how it compares.
Thanks again,
Mike

here's a couple pics of the finished splice..

Attachments

• tendril eye 1.jpg
    tendril eye 1.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 140
  • tendril eye 2.jpg
    tendril eye 2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 133
Looks like excellent work to me..I'd be proud of it.

Some of our splicing gurus will check in soon, I am sure.

That's a really nice splice and taper, Stickboy! Are you going to whip stitch to complete your masterpiece? Nicks just jealous, just teasing you oh holy splicing guru! Can you feel the love, wait for it!

Dave6390 in WI

Back