Favorite Ddrt rope?

I've been using the New England Tachyon 11.5 for a few years now.

I love it, but since I've been at this game for so long now, my parts don't work like when I was 20. Im definitely interested in the Imori for ease of grip. The elasticity of it isn't as big of concern due to knowing tricks of the trade for climbing Ddrt efficiently.

So if you guys feel the Imori is easily gripped -I'm all ears.

Reg?

If you're into skinny, Velocity rocks. Otherwise the Poison Ivy variants are really good.

Iv kinda lost interest in gear in the last year or so, I'm currently climbing on a rather elderly Blaze that Pete mctree gave me over a year ago.

..hah, me too...have not spent anything on equipment in a few seasons (other than Saws)....new saddle after Hurricane Irene and the GRCS after the Ice storm leaves me using an old Blaze...old but still good...when I am back in the black I will buy HH...

I have had a length of Imori and found it extremely bouncy on a long haul. I also used it one winter a couple of years ago removing storm hangers over woodland footpaths in the snow. A week and a half I climbed everyday with a soaking wet rope. I daisy chained it up before the xmas break and it was still sopping wet two weeks later.

So I suppose it depends where you are working, but it has been in my workshop for about 2 years now.

Last month I got hold of some of Donaghy's Cougar Blue. Probably one of the best ropes I have climbed on. Really low stretch makes it excellent for RW work and it is a delight to use in a Ddrt setup with VT and rope guide. I have been reliably informed it gets better as it get used as the rope was pretty waxy (if you know what I mean) when first used.

I've been using the New England Tachyon 11.5 for a few years now.

I love it, but since I've been at this game for so long now, my parts don't work like when I was 20. Im definitely interested in the Imori for ease of grip. The elasticity of it isn't as big of concern due to knowing tricks of the trade for climbing Ddrt efficiently.

So if you guys feel the Imori is easily gripped -I'm all ears.

Reg?
I cant really say that its easy to grip or not, because I havent used enough similar ropes to really tell the difference. I think what Butch said about gloves, if you can wear them and be comfortable is the most logical way to look at it. From there onwards I'd be looking at low stretch, light-weight and high-vis to to get the best value for money. Low stretch saves a lot of effort Doubled line too, not just SRT....especially when you have a lot of line in your system. The benefits of lightweight line are pretty self explanatory, and with that being skinny it will fall through a pantin much easier. If you do lots of climbing around canopies I think new and best suited climblines is money well spent. Whatever your age or stage in career. Climbing is hard work, whatever makes it easier.

I agree, Reg. Its better to delay onset of chronic wear and tear symptoms through efficiency than change to less strenuous ways once the aches and pains prompt it.

I've been climbing with HH on 10 mm HTP for SRT, or a final lower out DdRT. Its supposed not to be used DdRT. I like it. I think I will incorporate a Screamer into my base tie, though, due to the low stretch, and frequently I'm simply up and back down 180 degrees off one conifer branch, without (frequently) energy-absorbing redirects in the case of a break-out. Rope walker if not on spurs. DdRT is just too much work for me, for my work, in my patch of trees, mostly.

Im definitely not a fan of fuzzy rope.

I'll stick with my New England Tachyon. The pink line this time!

Ive been on vortex lately and liking it. Just came off XTC spearmint and must say the vortex is a far better handling rope. Supple and much less rigid. Throws through the tree far better and feels lighter.

I like Tachyon also in pink. I can see it really well. I have to watch what color ropes I get because I'm color blind.

I climbed on a Blake's hitch today, just for old time's sake. Poison Ivy is nice and smooth with a Blake's. Velocity, not so good, the Blake's tends to lock up.

Not one man had the nerve to say "Hi-Vee"........ I figured someone would still be clinging onto a hank of it.

Oh...I do have a hank of Hi-Vee that i use sometimes. It seems near identical to XTC in my opinion.

PI is pretty damn nice no matter what you ask of it.

Yep.
I just retired a short hank of it, and will be replacing it with another PI.
In the new "Tropical" color, though.
I've always felt that having a green rope was asking for trouble.
It was, because I'm retiring it due to it getting nipped by a chainsaw.

My long PI is a Bluemoon for the same reason.

My go-to work rope has been a 150' length of Poison-HiVee... a great all around rope.
My second most-used work rope is a 200' length of XTC Fire.

I have a couple different lengths of Blaze for lighter weight, carry-in-to-the-forest, recreational climbs,
and a 100 meter length of static Mammut 9mm rope for extreme lightweight tall tree access
(the red rope my daughter is on in the left-side picture on page 267 of Jerry's excellent book, "Coast Redwood, Tree Of Dreams And Fortune").
I use 10mm Sterling HTP for most of my static access, but when flying from East Coast to West, it is the 9mm Mammut that gets packed.

I did the same. After retiring my PI, I ordered 200 feet of Blue Moon. The green was just to hard for everyone to see. The blue really stands out to Rob. Vewy Important Grasshopper!

Not one man had the nerve to say "Hi-Vee"........ I figured someone would still be clinging onto a hank of it.
I actually just ordered some and sent it back for some vortex. I thought the new teufelberger color was cool but I didn't like how rough it was compared to arbormaster or xtc, probably does provide a good grip though.

I like the pink Poison Ivy. It's kind of a shocking color and that makes me feel cheerful for some reason. I just wish TreeStuff carried it.

Treestuff carries pink Aztec. I think it is the same as poison Ivey.

Back