US Champion White Oak: Making a plan

That's it! Laughable.

I could find three in NE Ohio that would dwarf this sapling. I also know of a London Plain in Moundsville WV that this oak isn't even as big as just one of its limbs.

How do they come up with these claims of champions?

There's one in Gambier Ohio that would dwarf that one .That thing spreads out much like a live oak .

An oak,any oak doesn't get very tall unless they have to compete for sunlight .That one obviously did not .

I waas going to complain that you didn't put anything in the fotos to show the size of the trees, but then I saw the last 2 posts and realized there must simply be something wrong with my eyes.

Al, how can you tell from those pictures how big it is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You Ohioans sure do talk big; go ahead and measure and nominate then! It costs nothing.

if you can beat 90' high and 120' crown spread and 331" cbh = 451 points, you got the champ q alba!

I remeasured the OH state champ N red oak at 301 cbh 116 spread and 95 high = 440 points, top that while you're at it!

How do they come up with these claims of champions?

You can nominate the trees you're talking about and see if they really are as big as you think. I found out when I started measuring trees that trees sometimes grew in my mind, then shrink just as I started measuring them.

Maybe we need a separate champions trees thread!

love
nick

I also know of a London Plain in Moundsville WV that this oak isn't even as big as just one of its limbs.

I know of a sequoia that is twice as big as all the oks in Ohio put together, but what has that got to do with anything?
Apples and oranges on the Plains of London.

Since when did they start growing oranges in England .News to me . However my deceased father had a 4 foot tall grapefruit in Ohio .It was in a big pot though and never produced fruit .Twenty years old and an inch and a half in diameter .

There's one in Gambier Ohio that would dwarf that one .That thing spreads out much like a live oak .

An oak,any oak doesn't get very tall unless they have to compete for sunlight .That one obviously did not .

Seems the Lion's Share of points often reside in the circumference inches, not the spread since crown gets 1/4 worth of points.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems the Lion's Share of points often reside in the circumference inches, not the spread since crown gets 1/4 worth of points.
This is true--girth means a lot in the formula. Crown spread also seems underrepresented in apprai$al formulas, but efforts to increase its weight were hard to implement. Plus it is harder to measure. The champion formula's not perfect, but it's what we got. To find more, http://www.nativetreesociety.org/measure_basics.htm

Back