Good Hello All (1st Post) Rope/Harness info.

r0ck1r0ck2

TreeHouser
A fine evening to you all.

I'm located in SE Wisconsin so lots of spreadout deciduous. box elder, burr oak, sugar maples being a few common examples.

I've been doing some limited climbing since july and have been apprenticing with a few tree crews (4).

my 1st setup has been a petzl avao and a 120' hank of poison ivy threw a sherril ring style friction saver.
sometimes i climb without the friction saver so natural crotch it is.

i climb on a VT or michocan with the hitchclimber pulley and beeline or armous prus.

the climbers i work with all climb on a blake's and none use a friction saver.

the avao is crushing my ribs and the boys downstairs.
the ivy doesn't feel right. my hands are sore and it gets lost in the brush.

i did some limited climbing on vortex and preferred it to the ivy but it doesn't have an eyesplice and my attempts at splicing haven't been stellar.

i've burned threw soo much of the vortex that i've retired it to a tagline/lightweight rigging line.

this vile frigid winter appears to be drawing to a close and i'm practicing like crazy.

i'm going to upgrade the saddle and rope and my contenders thus far are

Treemotion or Onyx. (long limbwalks)

and a spliced hank of Vortex or New England Teufelberger Safety Blue Climbing Rope.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Yours Truly, Joshua

also,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GAG7NADw6Ho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi Joshua.
Welcome to the house. I'm from WI too, Neenah. As far as saddle choice I can't speak to the TM but I did climb in the Onyx and it was a very nice saddle. IMO not as comfy as my Nikosi.
For half inch climbing lines I prefer Yales XTC. Tons of different colors but they all work the same.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome aboard!

The Treemotion is expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion. You could also check out the Ergolite harness variations if you're looking for a cheaper option. Treestuff has a good one but I can't remember what they call it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks gentlemen.

i found the site when i was looking for Onyx information

i'll have to have a look at the XTC.

i was thinking about the Superlight Treemotion if money gets tight.
as it stands i'm thinking of the Higherend Harnesses as an investment in my body.

Oh I'm between Milwaukee and Madison. Shame about the old arcade in lake Geneva. All those pinball machines!

HI new guy!

I've been climbing on XTC for 10 years (no not the same piece), it's good 1/2" rope. I like the XTC fire, really bright orange.
I'm moving on recently to mixing SRT for some trees along with the standby DdRT hitchclimber/VT.
The XTC tends to flatten out when used SRT, so next rope I'll move to double braid.

As for harnesses, if there is ANY way to try before you buy, do so. I'm currently on an Edelrid Tree Motion, looking towards a Petzl Sequoia for the next one.

Join the gang, its a nice vibe here and VERY supportive. :)

Fi

What are you using for SRT? I use the wrench with my XTC and I have not noticed any difference between that and the Fly or Bluemoon.... Or even Arbor Master for that matter.

I'm surprised how much I like XTC. It's one of those ropes that flies under the radar because it's not new or flashy.

It will be a while before I can try it out, but how do you compare the XTC to Tachyon Eric? I really like the feel of Tachyon while at height. Not too much bounce, although some say it is like a rubber band, and easy on the hands. Currently I am on some Poison Hi-v that is nice if not a little narrow.

What's up Joshua? Check the place out, it I'd full of info and not really in your face like other places.

I had a Tachyon line for a short period and turned it into lanyards. I like it for lanyards but I don't really have an opinion on it, especially compared to XTC. In general, I like Yale much better than NE Ropes.

Welcome,

I really like the Poison Hyvee, but wouldn't buy it again for production. I'll go with the PI calamine.

Foot ascender, leg power! Better yet, ropewalker. Save your hands for working.

Better yet, you're going to hear this in my threads, go SRT, especially with spreading trees where you will want to crotch hop and not fight friction the whole time, plus you can get farther out on the tips. PCTree, a member here and at TB, is the innovator/ inventor of the Hitch Hiker. wicked tool!

here's my issue regarding SRT and i'm sure it's been discussed before...

the rope being left at the base seems far too vulnerable to limbs and logs as they come a crashing down.
not to mention the line running from the base of a funky boxelder threw a crotch and criscrossing the spread out bugger.
a lot of the trees i've been in of late have been loaded with suckers, i can imagine them grabbing my ropewrench/HH with nasty results.

i do use a cmi foot ascender for longer hikes but have been footlocking the tail for the last few climbs with decent results.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/images/products/XTCE.jpg

here, wadda you think?
nice and bright.
think it'll stretch more than the NE/Teufelberger safety blue?
natural TIP climber?

what about 24strand..
what about the vortex?
i've had it pick a few times which bugs me but i think i'm pretty close to getting my splices down on it
3rd Splice.jpg

I've been switching back and forth between ddrt and SRT now for a few yrs. I own both the RW and HH and prefer the HH. I have yet to see a situation where something slipped or was compromised, it could happen though. As far as your rope at the base, rope bag. A well spent couple bucks. Your splice looks good, now do it again and send it to Bonner at Treestuff for testing. I am just learning splicing now myself.

Choking up in the crown is perfectly ok for SRT too, if the down-line sketches you out. I totally agree on that one. Lessens the load at the TIP too. . .

Yes and no to lessening the load. Deflection angles and compressing the wood versus bending it sideways, and all that.

I can see your concern about something disabling the rope wrench or hitch hiker, but have had no experience, nor heard of it happening, in years of personal, and cumulative industry experiences. Could have happened, but there's always something.

You can choke your base anchor off the ground with a short ladder of the like (walk up the back side of the hand truck using it as a ladder. Tie in twice with life support sized TIPs when chunking wood down (as you hopefully know).

When its time for chunking, I'll usually change to a top-cinch on a conifer, or know the hazards of the line running down. If I was negative blocking, I'd almost surely forego the ground lowering option for a top cinch.

Well i was wondering.

truth be told i haven't had to fight the friction and binds that come with too many redirects.
as i traverse the tree i'll pull the line to me and get a new TIP.
i'm also using redirects if it's getting hairy.

here's the thing about my saddle
the D-Rings really crush my hips when tied into the lanyard and the center D squashes my midsection when going out on a limb.
it slides down with a saw and rides up when i'm ascending.
not to mention the terrible pain in my loins from the leg straps.

man, lake geneva is beautiful as is the area.
there must be some crazy mansion work there.

here's the thing about my saddle
the D-Rings really crush my hips when tied into the lanyard and the center D squashes my midsection when going out on a limb.
it slides down with a saw and rides up when i'm ascending.
not to mention the terrible pain in my loins from the leg straps.
Welcome Rock. :)

Another vote for a TM here. Your hips will thank you when you run the lanyard to the lower D's. You can save the hip D's for removals.

I've heard the ergovation is good for people who have a big saw hanging off them all day. I haven't tried one before though.

Hello and welcome aboard.

The treemotion is nice for prunings and limb walking. It's comfy hanging in it and all the connections put a lot options on the table. There are a few things I don't care for like the small hip d's and how it sits lower on my hips when in the lanyard. I am always having to pull it up higher to better support my back. Those two reasons are why am in the market for another harness that I will use for spur removals.

Vortex has been a great rope so far for me. I've been using it for 3 months. It's held up well with natural crotching and feels good on the hands. It's also been awesome for srt.

Cheers

Back