August Hunicke Videos

Yep....the weight hitting the block was flexing that spar...made me uneasy just watching.

I wondered if the far trees could have been used as two gin poles....a long swing for the piece but it wouldn't have stressed the damaged tree he was in. Put a block in each tree...make a helluva a video. Maybe too much collateral damage to gin poles or trees in the swing arc.

You are a dick Murph - we are chatting about people spamming there channels with crappy click bait & then you do exactly that. Haven’t you got a freeway to go play on?

Gary, just watched your vid in #5050.

Good stuff! I've been doing some of those moves in conjunction with a slant board to stretch the calves and also with reference to the Knees Over Toes Guy.

Fine looking staff in that vid, what is it made out of? As I get more and more into staffs, I'm finding ash is the champion material.

IMG_5512.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2635.JPG IMG_2637e.jpg IMG_2642.JPG
Gary, just watched your vid in #5050.

Good stuff! I've been doing some of those moves in conjunction with a slant board to stretch the calves and also with reference to the Knees Over Toes Guy.

Fine looking staff in that vid, what is it made out of? As I get more and more into staffs, I'm finding ash is the champion material.
That is bamboo...in the early days of my bando training, we always used wooden staffs. Once I realized I could find bamboo locally I started using it...in 1998 I planted my own bamboo (4 varieties) and I use my homegrown boo now.

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2637e.jpg

Wow, awesome stash you have there! That is a rather large quantity of boo, do you use it for other things in addition to your yoga/bando staff?

As noted, I'm a big fan of Ash but Imma give bamboo a try next time I happen across the right stalk which is maybe 1x/year here.

We've used it in Boy scouts before to build towers, bridges, etc. It's a great building material.
What you're looking at there was harvested for use at a martial arts camp... We used it to build target stands, tarp support poles, signage holders, easels for art displays, etc.
I've used it as part of a search and rescue missions, stability for river crossings, etc.
I've also used it before as a boom for rigging to pick up big post where there was no easy breaking point. I think I've posted those pictures before but I'll see if I can dig them out again.

The one in your vid was very light-colored, is that from sanding?

No....from drying out. I do use a belt sander to take down the ridges at the joints, but that one started out green, too.

Back