August Hunicke Videos

Cheating my ass - gotta crane? USE that crane! :beer:

But seriously, in terms of dragging brush, the crane is perfect for that job.

Nother sweet vid.

Nice balanced pics. I dig the beefy dunnage you placed, makes for peace of mind and a nice, leave no trace result.

FCP, baby! (As its users like to say -- actually, I just made that up!)

I asked my children what month it was; they answered, "April!" Then I asked what other month starts with A. "August!" they exclaimed. And of course, they knew what that meant -- another new video to gather around the computer & watch. They esp. liked the "Whac-an-Adam" since we just had been talking about the Whac-A-Mole game. Enjoyed immensely.

Only thing I do differently is when near mailboxes, I make sure the chipper table is past them, shielding them from brush being dragged into the chipper. The mailman doesn't like having to squat to put mail into bent over mailboxes around these parts. Might just be a Kansas peculiarity, though...

Sick vid!

Nice to see a deciduous tree SL'd. I bet this vid will sell youse some SL kits to Easterner tree men.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-yZjkTxl_M4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We've done a speed line using the chipper winch line on I want to say it was a huge tulip poplar. The chipper winch made for a convenient anchor point and source of tension, but the end was too close to the ground to really get the branches right to the chipper.

Otherwise we just don't often get really tall trees out east like the one in that video.

Those camera angles are so good, they'd be great for educational purposes if you and Jerry went back through your old footage and assembled an in depth climbing and rigging DVD, not like the working climber series wasn't detailed enough.

Good idea "Nut" about the Jer colab

Stumpy its great to hear when the kids like my stuff, I've had families Ive never met send pics of their kids dressed like me for halloween. Yeah, that wack mole thing had me laughing when I made it.

The mailboxes. . . I like to come close to. . . everything.

Here's another, you might want to turn down the volume if you don't like Amazing Grace. Just Sayin. I'm not a door knocker.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m33Al8a0r7g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cottonwood speedline was a pleasure to watch...I like the way you talk to Youtube...even toasted us!

Serious wind...cool noise!

And the drone stability in that wind was mindboggling...cool. Great drone shots.

Too easy with that crane! How much time does it save?

I assume those steep vertically angled cuts are to prevent the work from swinging into the arborist until it has been lifted above their head?

From what I've seen of your videos, those deep v-cuts are unnecessary and a waste of time. You guys are excellent at centering the lift to get a smooth vertical pick.

They do look cool, though.

With another crew, they may be a life saver.

I’m for one cut, I mention it now and then but only occasionally insist on it. They do what they want mostly.

My crane guy would ream me a new one if I dicked around with those silly cuts. If you're pick point is centered properly, one cut straight through is all you need.

The steeper angle sometimes allows them to woller a pinch cut easier than a full cross cut pinch. Again, my approach when I was cutting for crane was 1 cut that gradually opened up or stayed the same and slowly loaded the boom.
I think that’s the main thing to be able to read, is where to start the cut (of a properly rigged and pretensioned pick) so that it gracefully transfers the weight of the pick to the boom.
I don’t micromanage them though. I’ve seen some neat V cuts and shelf cuts.

Show me one other video where that V cut is used.

It's cool, just not necessary. Trust me. :drink:

Brett - the crane operator can't say shit about how a climber makes his cuts.

Back