August Hunicke Videos

I hear ya though I don't agree re the spurs. But yeah, when you see a guy with intrinsic hustle, you take care of him if you want to take care of yourself. How many guys work for you, Merle?

One Cory, and she happens to be a girl.

Being exposed to females doing tree work on The Tree House gave me the idea that it would be valuable to try.

We've been looking for a female apprentice for a while.
Finding one with the physique to handle daily logging is hard if not impossible, however.

We have female pipe fitters, and they excel at some stuff, and if they applied themselves, would likely be better than anybody. I've also worked around several female sparkys (electricians), and they excel there as well. I've also seen a female concrete finisher, and she did excellent... the entire job's productivity plummeted when she worked tho :/:

I had a female groundy for a couple of years back in the UK.

She was steady but unspectacular, lacked the power for a lot of the hard stuff, but made up for it with attention to detail, honesty and following instructions.

Her husband was a climber who used to sub for me oftimes which created an unusual chain of command on certain jobs!

Couldn’t reverse a trailer if her life depended on it though.

This is/was a groundie for a friend of mine. She worked at least 10 years for him.

The second gal is TreeChick. She was here for a year or two, then vamoosed.

Attachments

• babara 2.JPG
    babara 2.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 27
  • theresa.JPG
    theresa.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 29
It's a challenge, getting women into the arb field. Too much muscle needed for most of them.

I trained, certified, and worked with a goodly number of female USFS climbers. They could do the natural resource management work absolutely, all up. But that didn't call for heavy labor, chainsaws aloft, etc.

I know of three women that did bring it all...two Smokejumpers, and one other in fire management. The latter followed me into the USFS Tree Climbing program tech advisor cadre, at my recommendation. These out of probably 100 +- women I trained or worked with over 30 something years.

So they are rare, no doubt about it. But they do exist.

For Stig's needs, day in and out production timber faller...one of the three for sure, one other I'd say probably. The last, well she was a helluva Smokejumper, climber, and could handle a small to mid-sized chainsaw well...but she was quite small. I'd never sell her short, she had drive to beat the band. Might be she'd have been able to keep up too. Never saw the least bit of quit in her, for certain.

And it should be said, our friend Bermy is small, too. No quit there either :). So my position has long been, never short the ladies, they can surprise you.

Ha! I've just had a girlfriend start doing groundie for me...only need to show/tell once, she's got it, we get along well.
She earned her paycheck on Monday...I went to pull my rope 60' out of a cedar, two natural redirects in it with fairly tight branch forks... I couldn't shift it...she's a bigger lady than I am...she got it out!
I asked her to work with me again next week.

There is a great market for that, at least in the Northwest. A woman just started Sweaty Betty's Tree Care in Portland, Oregon. Clearly woman-owned.

Work it!

Don't know if you have found good women's PPE/ work wear. Just saw this site doing a quick google for a pink, tree oriented, hi-vis shirt.

Playing on being a woman to get work is naff, I’m sure Bermy doesn’t do that or want to.

Personally I’ve never understood the desire or need to encourage women into the industry, if they want to, fine, there’s nothing in their way.

Of course there’s prejudices, as you rightly state women don’t have the sort of power men have (generally) so physically some work is beyond most of them.

But college courses are open to all, and once qualified there’s always a way.

There were a couple of girls on my climbing course (‘95) They didn’t really have the desire, it’s unlikely they continued after it finished.

In the current climate (near full employment companies crying out for tree workers) if you can do the job, you get the job.

Oddest one to me is to call the head of a working group the "chair." What's wrong with being gender-specific: chairman or chairwoman. To me, the "chair" is what they are sitting in when they are making the decisions!

My favorite though: I don't use the term "mail carrier." We now have a mailman. We used to have a fe-mail.:D

My neighbours dasughter got really weirded out by a stonemason they had doing some work on the house.
She really didn't like being alone with him.
Since her parents were on a trip, she came down and told me.
So I let her take Sam dog with her home......................problem solved.

Nice new vid by AH.

August, when you move large piles of brush with the vermeer to the chipper, do you feed the brush into the chipper with the vermeer or by hand. If with vermeer, do you feed it in butts first or backwards tips first. Don't believe we've seen lots of brush being chipped on your sites. Thanks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ykw6UUw_2j0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would have backed that chipper all the way up that driveway no problemo. And if there was a problem, I would disconnect and do it with a 4wd, then back the chipper in... moss or no moss. It would be maybe the dozenth time I've had to do that uphill, and the hundredth time I've done it downhill. Trust me, both are trickey, but quite doable.

With the yuge LZ you had, I woulda never worried about chunks rolling downhill, and that truck was a mile away with a tree in front of it. If a climber can't hit (and he came dang close on that first toss) a LZ that size... I dunno.

Building a ricochet barrier was an excellent move! Every chunk just added to the Wall of Stop! My biggest worry woulda been that fricking camper trailer whatnot! Couldn't the bastardos have moved it first? I woulda tried to wall that sucker off...

The nice thing (for the climber) is that every cut gets you closer to the ground! :beer:

I'd have loved to work with you, August. You woulda been all smiles.

Back