August Hunicke Videos

That's when he helmet comms are priceless. You can tell the operator how much to put on the line, take some off if it's too much, etc.
Straight wood I want the line tensioned but at a good bit less than my estimate for the pick weight. It's not gonna fall in your lap or cause the tree to fail. Cut it off and let them dial up the lift as needed
V cuts are great in certain situations. When the balance is hard to read or just plain complex for a single choker. Heavily weighted pine tops come to mind for my work environment. White pine is brittle as can be up top so the v let's the butt sit still a few moments longer and give the crane op a chance to counter the movement.
The shelf cut is the ticket on big horizontal limbs too.
I reckon I don't take a one size fits all approach.

Ive never actually used one but your buddy mark chisholm who is extremely knowledgeable favors them. From what i've read they are good when you aren't totally sure where the weight/lean is so you can use the v cut to hold the piece in place longer/safer. Though I've wondered how, when you finish the cuts at the bottom apex, why the piece wouldn't sit down into the v and pinch your saw prior to picking.

Waste of effort, and not a safer option. No disrespect to Augusts guys, or Mark C, but they only delay the inevitable, and hinder a climbers development

Couldn't agree more. Our newish crane guys, bend more guide bars and just generally mess up because the stupid V-cut basically retards their development.

If it was a thing, I woulda been doing it.

I do things.

^^^ HAHAHAHAHA that “I do things hit me right in the funny bone.
FWIW guys, you are seeing one pass the cuts from Jeff because he’s green and he’s doing what I tell him to do.
Those one pass cuts are a lot easier to read for me especially without the LMI.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z8ez8ryq-1s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"if you hit a rock". Lol. I once ground a stump and didnt hit a rock.

That salesman seems a bit full of it. IME, it is very rare for carbide to break off. And he was grinding too much on top of the stump instead of attacking more from the side of the stump by being lower. I demoed that machine once, not a fan. Consider rayco or BB

I've used the Vermeer 60, the track width adjustment system was under powered and easily jammed up with dirt, also it wasn't too hard to boil water out of the radiator.

the guy made my day. he does all the time. today even. he showed up with 2 chippers and and and, well just wait for the vid.
i don't buy stump grinders tho

"if you hit a rock". Lol. I once ground a stump and didnt hit a rock.

That salesman seems a bit full of it. IME, it is very rare for carbide to break off. And he was grinding too much on top of the stump instead of attacking more from the side of the stump by being lower. I demoed that machine once, not a fan. Consider rayco or BB

Plus with the Yellow Jacket teeth if you hit something hard enough to loose the carbide you will loose the index needed to rotate the tooth, it happens. I don't really care for tracks on stumpers, sure better flotation but not really a need IMO and more wear parts in the undercarriage. Vermeer would love to sell you the parts.

August, your Vermeer dealer is either the best or they really like the exposure from you making videos with them. The company I’m with owns close to a million in their products and can’t get them to bring us a demo on a mini-skid. When we asked for a demo on an Ax19, they told us it would be 3 months before we could try one. Bought an 18” morbark a week later. Didn’t use to be this way, but some ownership of the dealerships switched hands in my area. Since morbark bought Rayco we’ve been talking more with them. Rayco Ron sold my bosses dad his first stump grinder in the early 80’s. Two weeks ago he was out on site helping me trouble shoot a chipper problem. Turned out to be a bad fuse. Wasn’t blown, just wore out is the best way I can explain it. I love how the sales man knows how to chase wires. Don’t really know why I’m going off on this tangent. Oh well. Keep on keeping on

The big company in the area has at least a million in Vermeer iron and they get the runaround at the dealership and they are pretty much done with Vermeer also.

The big company in the area has at least a million in Vermeer iron and they get the runaround at the dealership and they are pretty much done with Vermeer also.

I think ours got bought out by your local dealer. They have kept the same guy in charge of the service department or we would be completely switched over.

It's possible. The guy has spent mega bucks with Vermeer over the years you'd think they would ship in a hooker or three for the guy but no.

Its the only dealer near me, and I avoid it.

My grinder is the only Vermeer that I own. Its effectively sold to a guy a mile from me, once my lazy mechanic is back from fishing with his grandkids and spending time with his sons, taking care of his elderly mother, not working on his hunting e-bike (bmx bike with a double rifle rack on the handlebars), and puts an engine on my Rayco, that I've never found time to do.

Vermeer is sold by RDO here. A company twice the size of Vermeer.
No one compares to Vermeer/RDO here for customer service, site visits, demos, they work along side us, and not just me, but the other locals here too. They are consistently king. I like Vermeer as a company and RDO too. It's just been steady excellence.

It aint the same everywhere I guess. To bad, but there's plenty for everyone I reckon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LaCB_YYvUys" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back