SRT anchoring question

Szajer

alive with pleasure
I have a question.

Never seen it done up close, but from what I've seen online, the anchoring looks really confusing. Included are some pics of what I mean.

1.) Now is there more going on -than just simply anchoring an SRT?

2.) Is there really a need to have all these devices present -just to hold the line secure?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

those look like anchor setups that incorporate a way to lower the climber in an emergency while the rope is under tension. personally, i wrap my rope twice around the trunk and tie off with a series of half hitches. very secure and can be undone under tension in case lowering is required. plus it allows another piece of rope to be added on as nothing is going through hardware.

Graeme McMahon's SRT Base Anchor system certainly seems to be the simplest SRT Base Anchor system EVER. It requires no hardware, allows rescue and the simple addition of extra rope.

The Graeme McMahon's SRT Base Anchor system is shown in the following video from 0:45-6:25

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QhIKI0AhzIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a really thing with me. I see all these complicated base tie ins and just shake my head. K.I.S.S. is why I will use Graeme's method or a damn porty with enough rope. I hear a butt load of complaints and have experienced how a groundie can screw crap up, and then see all these damn systems that you better know WTF you are doing so you don't drop the guy..
Just saying.. It's a Peeve....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After watching the video jack posted, I get it now.

Two of the pics are set up as a double-redundancy for allowing the lowering of a climber. It was just set up fancy— with all the new bells and whistles, all pretty like for the sake of the photo opt.

I noticed that this happens a lot with all the new gadgets out now. When I first started, a safety lanyard, handsaw, chainsaw. Nothing else hanging from my saddle— oh, and a simple taught line hitch. And with this, I've done some of the most technical riggings imaginable with the addition of two work lines, maybe a third as a tag.

I'm not one to stagnate, I love the new. But me thinks it's become a little overblown and with having a dozen mechanical devices employed -it just opens up more chances for something to go wrong.

Who am I kidding, the toys we use are fantastic! More! More! More! ;)

If you've got a lot of rope the base tie in the video is perfect. If not Nick made a video of a base tie with a F8, another length of rope, and a couple alpine butterflies that was very simple.

I have a RIG and 200' of rope but I never use it. My base is pretty much like the one in that video and the choking sling I made sits in the garage.

When I teach people who are just beginning SRT work, we always follow the KISS principles, for basal and canopy anchors.

Being able to lower a climber is good, but avoiding having to do it in the first place is more important. Remember we still can't lower a climber in DdRT (unless they are attached to an Adjustable False Crotch (AFC), so to me, I really don't it as a huge advantage.

A $150 base-tie is a gearhead deal.

One piece of scrap life-support rope, one life support biner. Munter-mule, overhand/ scaffold tie off on a bight.

Or Graeme's.

those look like anchor setups that incorporate a way to lower the climber in an emergency while the rope is under tension. personally, i wrap my rope twice around the trunk and tie off with a series of half hitches. very secure and can be undone under tension in case lowering is required. plus it allows another piece of rope to be added on as nothing is going through hardware.

:thumbup:

Those photos are outrageous. If I started setting all that up on a job I'd never live it down. The guys would be doubled over laughing.

That 3rd pic is mine, 1/2in stable braid, x small bat plate, RIT prusic with ring, sets up in a flash...I dont have to use those xtra biners, there just extra security if wanted, thats what the pic was showing

here's my other basal anchor, easy peasy, fast to set up

That 3rd pic is mine, 1/2in stable braid, x small bat plate, RIT prusic with ring, sets up in a flash...I dont have to use those xtra biners, there just extra security if wanted, thats what the pic was showing

here's my other basal anchor, easy peasy, fast to set up

Ok. Outside of the extra cost of that gear....it appears as your set-up (same as the others) don't do anything more than 2 trunk wraps of the Same climb line you're already using would. Except these set-ups consist of several links which all rely on each other to work. One could argue 'more $hit to go wrong'. So why ?

My basal anchor is 25ft long for the big trees here in nor cal.......used all 200ft of rope on this climb

yeah we do some long ascents here too, but not everyday, and I still wouldn't need go to all that trouble. So why else ?

Reg while your walking around the big trunk twice and tying all that rope up I would be done with one wrap and butterfly knot, and be 50ft up with HH and HASS looking down at you lol :)

Reg while your walking around the big trunk twice and tying all that rope up I would be done with one wrap and butterfly knot, and be 50ft up with HH and HASS looking down at you lol :)

Dam you get a lot done in 40 seconds. Clearly I'm out of my league here. As you were.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tell me about it, I really feel all worthless as a climber now.

Getting old guys. Ain't that a bitch :(

40 sec? Im talking 10 sec..Ha, just eggin you on Reg, its that bit of Irish in me, making me ornery today! ;)

40 sec? Im talking 10 sec..Ha, just eggin you on Reg, its that bit of Irish in me, making me ornery today! ;)

Yeah I had sorta gathered that, thanks. On a serious note I am not opposed to investing time and money where a significant advantage is gained, but in this scenario Im just seeing the opposite. Same talk is going on at TB along with similar complex set-ups to perform otherwise simple tasks. Im not talking about you BOTS but I do often wonder if a large portion of climbers just like fkcing about with stuff and connecting it all up in a nice colorful web of rigging. Nothing wrong with that but it just seems more a recreational mindset than a productive one. I just dont know how you make money with that thinking.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/byhVP7f6CwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats a nice set up Nick. Personally I would prefer to avoid like the cutting of line part. In the heat of the moment, a real-life serious injury I wouldn't want people taking to my life-support with scissors and knives. The termination knot at the end of two trunk wraps is really easy to untie, and what with all the friction of the re-di crotch that the climber is hanging from, it'd be tough for even the most unrehearsed or panic stricken groundworker to mess-up. Each to his own though. Good video.

Nothing wrong with that but it just seems more a recreational mindset than a productive one. I just dont know how you make money with that thinking.

That has always been my thought. Keep it safe, simple, and efficient.

Back