Brendonv's Custom Chip Box Build

76ADCC5E-2168-4BF1-AFD4-A73F2B9A9E4C.jpg I built a chip box on the smaller truck today so I have emergency extra chip room. The truck is usually carrying logs so I didn?t want the box to be permanent but I also wanted to have it with me all the time in case I need it. It?s nothing like the others on this thread but it works fine for my needs. 487260AA-622E-4722-AE70-E064B91BBBB6.jpg 1FB8B7C7-25BE-4EFC-A4A8-4FE2BE1725D0.jpg 7267C8F6-5313-46E8-A6E6-B32F08D3BF2F.jpg
After I took these pics I did flip the hinges so the sides are nice and flat when folded down. I will also be adding tie downs for the tarp top and I?m sure there are several other things I?ll think of later. Sorry for the sideways pics. No matter what I do they are always the wrong way.

We often load things over the side of the truck like stump grinding, etc..I still need the dingo to be able to reach.

My chip truck had that type of gate when I bought it. I didn't like it at all for a chip truck. Had my welder guy build me these gates when he did the cap for my bed.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 57
Great thread, cool builds.

I'm having B fab me up an artificial knee, I need something better than the best.

Brian, do you have vents? Is the shorter box length vent enough?
Page, depending on the tarp top, I wonder if that is a consideration.

My box is old, and doesn't have vents. I hear it makes denser chip piles, and less debris blowing back to the chipper radiator and crew.

I always figured they put those vents in there for a reason. The older ones don't have them.

They don't blow any more dust around than anything else. I think they're supposed to allow some air to go out so it doesn't recirculate and blast back toward the entrance.

I used to have a mesh tarp as the top on my main chip truck. When we boxed it in I definitely noticed more blow back.

We must be talking about two different things.

BNXKWKP.gif

Your box will definitely fill both ways. A part of the question is how it will fill. Why would new trucks have them, otherwise?

Tb:

TimberJack
TimberJack
The vents are more for the dumping process than the filling process. My father was in the logging industry for my entire childhood. We used to chip into 45' box trailers for biomass. It was pretty impressive to see the tipping process at the power plant. Without the vents in these chipboxs the material would creat a vacume and suck the walls of the box to self destruction.

On long boxes, it's different.

Maybe overengineered.

Well if you have a box closed in on the sides and top, the air coming out with the chips has to go somewhere...its going to blow back out the open end to some degree I would think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Almost. Got the front panel on. Decided to go with The option to replace the sheet, so inwent with ss pan heads, and a sheet of 3/4" azek on the inside. The two side panels will be adhered with the same 3m products as the others. Got my tools boxes too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 52
Back