Brendonv's Custom Chip Box Build

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1.5x3"x.125 6061 rect tube. Skins are .190 5052. The skins are tuff, the .125 sheet gets dented, the .190 not a chance. I have hauled logs occasionally and throw split wood, no dents. The front panel of my old one is the headboard that came with the flatbed, its .125 and the chips beat it up. Im doing the .190 on the front and also 3/4" ply where the mini loader will butt up against in front.

Have you thought about a spot for a plywood insert where the chipper discharge hits the front of the box? Those chips blasting away will wear it out like a sand blaster over time. My chip box is steel and I threw a piece of plywood in there.

Nice work sir, great attention to detail. For tig welding al, a foot pedal is the way to go. For steel and stainless, you don't have the heat conductivity, so for all but the thinnest stuff just set it and scratch start. A really cool trick for that is using the filler wire, just drag it across the tungsten like a match while leaving it touching the work, so that way you won't break the tip off in the weld and get an inclusion. Doing al you have the high frequency for starting and stabilizing the arc, so you don't need that trick, but for steel it's nice to not have a damn pedal to drag around everywhere. Great work man

Have you thought about a spot for a plywood insert where the chipper discharge hits the front of the box? Those chips blasting away will wear it out like a sand blaster over time. My chip box is steel and I threw a piece of plywood in there.

What kinda horsepower are your machines? We have an aluminum box and have blasted it for about 5 yrs and it seems fine.

I would say this is from hardwood logs over 6? diameter.

Attachments

• F0AF85F0-1D31-4AFA-9280-C5FF731E13DC.jpg
    F0AF85F0-1D31-4AFA-9280-C5FF731E13DC.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 62
I would say this is from hardwood logs over 6? diameter.
I guess from the very end of the log when the last bit is sucked by the knives, no matter its shape or size.
The plywood should make the bang less noisy than the aluminum panel alone. Maybe a loose piece of tarp or rubber could help.

Fully welded minus about 4? worth. Stick on panel time. It?s stout

Attachments

• 166C944B-E463-4321-AD11-1DFD4A0D5931.jpg
    166C944B-E463-4321-AD11-1DFD4A0D5931.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 3A90F6ED-45AF-4DDB-A8FF-E32CDC65F4A8.jpg
    3A90F6ED-45AF-4DDB-A8FF-E32CDC65F4A8.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 40
Thanks. With the right setup and right season maybe, it’s hard tho with all my other shenanigans . I get attatched to my builds and don’t want them to leave!

Fully welded minus about 4? worth. Stick on panel time. It?s stout
Looking good real good!
Very nice, Brendon! You can fabricate them on the side for some extra coin!

I said the some thing when I built mine. 10 grand up front and three weeks. It's hard to really comprehend how much work, a shit ton, goes into a build like this. It might be easy for a fab shop with dedicated space and tools for such a task, but if you have to work on it for a few hours here and there it can be quite a PITA.

Skinning aignt easy. All welded and ready for skins. Got the tailgate skinned this morning, its drying.

Gotta get some lifting lugs for, well lifting, and to tie down orchard ladders. Going to do a pole tube finally, tired of pols floating around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 40
Back