The Logging Thread

Butch you are awesome. That probably sounds repetitious to you, but for someone like me sitting out here 100 miles from the nearest bar..... and to ask and receive, just like that.... I don't know what else to say. THANK YOU!

I stopped stashing my saw on the joib after leaving one under some branches at a clearcut back in 78.
I went home, got hit by a bad flu that put me under for a week and when I finally made it out to the clearcut, I had no idea whatsoever where i stashed my saw.
The guys had been cutting all week, so thinks sure didn't look the same.
I was poor back then and saws were expensive, so I spent the better part of the day rooting around in the slash until i finally localized the place where i stashed my Husky 162.

Since then I've dutyfully dragged my saws home every day.

I always got a kick out of leaving such a valuable piece of gear hidden out there over night, knowing it was not going anywhere till I got back and saving me a bit of labor in the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm surprised it wasn't suggested before!

I actually suggested that this post be moved to the logging forum a couple of days ago. Then I realized we didn't have a logging forum, then I edited the post. I was thinking of the Tree Felling and Rigging forum at the time.

I've never left a saw in the woods. I worry about leaving a machine on a job overnight now. Used to leave the backhoe all over the place, but I think it would be stripped clean and sucked dry these days.

Seems like there is currently almost nothing Tree Felling and Rigging that is like logging. I agree we should have a dedicated logging forum though, I think the number of threads in it will grow over time (well, obviously).

2 forums:drink:

All the loggers I met were contemptuous of setting lines for anything cept gin poles n such. Taking great pride from working their felling magic at the stump with wedges and Silvey tree jacks n such.

An entirely different breed IMO.

With a lot to teach an urban arborist.

Jomo

Interesting. I've always considered logging to be tree felling and rigging. We can have two forums, I just hate sites with a jillion forums and subforums.

I seriously doubt loggers would attempt their stump only felling prowess on some of the big eucs I've pulled over with a dozer and a bull line!

Like loggers and urban arborists are different species with different characteristics, conifers and eucs are entirely different animals tamed with entirely different methods.

Some are tenacious stump fiber holders, and some ain't!

Jomo

Logging here is all about Logs...the equipment and expertise it takes to fill the landing then the truck with the best pieces....lots of variables...bore cut all Hardwood ....the Mill end is as tricky as anything on the lot

This guy sorta grows on you:), but you have to watch the whole thing. Watched in on Steves forum earlier.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qajr7chnEjU?list=UUfKBjAlRN3Fvzkugu6ukuIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Something ain't right with that dude :/:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qajr7chnEjU?list=UUfKBjAlRN3Fvzkugu6ukuIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was obviously doing it for a video, but sloppy work and that is how you get killed.
We used to leave our saws out in the brush on a regular basis because of the amount of gear we were packing( jacks, tree climbing gear, chockers etc.) and the distance and elevation just to get out of there. When you are down in a steep yarder setting just getting yourself and fuel jugs etc. out was enough of a chore. Also most of the time we were working on private land behind locked gates, often with a guard posted at the entrance. We never had an incident where a saw was stolen. That said, these days anywhere near residential areas it would probably be wise for one to remove his dearest possession at the end of the day.

That video of the speed freak faller is posted on AS in the Forestry and Logging threads. Some of the comments are hilarious. That kid is a bullbuck's nightmare.

Back