The Logging Thread

Tree farmer.

Its been quicker to skid than to use the forwarder. He was using it today as there was nothing else to cut, so just burning time. Two of my drags will basically fill up the forwarder. I can do four to his one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You need one of these things. It's in Swedish, but it's pretty self-explanatory.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HzPk99D3dKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are other wild Koehring forestry machines on YouTube, worth a look when you have time.

Thuja plicata aka western redcedar.

Yes, the blue markings are deductions for root rot.

Synonymous with western Washington (state). The biggest WRc is about a two hour drive on the Olympic Peninsula from me, near a champion (top blew out, so no longer tallest, IIRC) spruce. Both in the 250-300' range IIRC.

As Stig approprately spells it, redcedar is a misnomer. Cedrus genus /true cedars are very different. Someone please correct me if cedrus are drought tolerant, overall.

With a slight Boston Accent, "Thuja Plicata, like to have it feet in the wata (water)"- not drought tolerant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Short clip of bringing home a pine top from one of yesterday's trees. Put in a pair of earplugs, put a set of muffs over that, turn the volume up all the way and watch outside in 15 F for the full effect.:lol: Having someone slap you with a branch every now and then, or to try and tip your chair over would heighten the experience. And no, that's not full throttle.:O

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_h_58V2jp5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Howdy folks.

It's been a while since I last visited. Hope everyone is doing well.

I need some advice from those of you who have for more experience with this than I do.

I'll post some pictures, then I'll ask for advice on how to go about tackling this project. It's strictly for firewood. I don't have to clean it up. What I leave behind will be taken care of by the landowner. 100_5538.jpg 100_5537.jpg 100_5536.jpg

Thank you.

Joel

That picture reminds me of a story from the the winter of -77.
We had as much snow in that winter as in any normal 10 winters put together.
The whole country was snowbound and they set the army in to help distribute food etc.
One driver of a tracked APC ( Armored personnel carrier, is that right?) called in that he was lost in the snowstorm.
The central asked him to look for points in the landscape that they could use as a reference to their maps.
All he could see was some bushes that appeared to be arranged somewhat in rows.
Turned out he was in a cherry plantation, driving on top of the trees on the packed snow.

Lots of snow that year.

Stig, I remember one year on the coast range (just east of Humboldt county), my partner and I stashed our saws on a Friday afternoon at the end of the work day. It had just started snowing lightly. There was no snow on the ground. By the time the storm ended there was 10'. I skied in to try and "find" the equipment and came upon a D-8 and looked down! into the operators cab. I think it was 1984 or 5. It became known as the April Fools Day storm.

Butch, this logging thread should have it's own "topic" heading in the forum. I think. Probably because I am a logger and only a half assed climber.

Tree felling and Rigging, would be better than, Off Topic, imo.

Back