The Logging Thread

Gotta atleast hang a block and have someone else pull the rigging up if there's hands. I was the only one I ever worked with that could/would rig a tail or intermediate spar solo in one climb. I developed my own technique of climbing with two guy lines attached to the belt and the bite of a rope with the third guy line on one end and a good sized block on the other. That was a hard climb with each step making it worse. I'd hang the two lines on me first obviously, then pull up and hang the third guy line, then pull up the block between my legs otherwise it'd throw you off balance. I'd wrestle it up through my legs and rest it on my lap while I wrapped the strap.

Let me tell you by this point your spurs are drove deep. Lol. Than you'd still have to down climb never rappeled or had a climb line even in those days.

Last edited:
I'm as BADASS as I ever was. Experience and cunning make up for youth and exuberance. Plus, the older you are, the more experienced at being badass you get.

P1000348.JPG P1000351.JPG

Figured I ought to put something in this thread.
They sold the first half of the logs from our clearcut today.
I like to go by and see what deductions the mill has made and if there are any logs they didn't take.
Just to get better at figuring how to grade logs.
In this case they took everything, except for some minor deductions for rot.
Paid a good price for them, too.

Last edited:
That is pretty much what Richard and I are cutting right now.
We took a break from the big stuff and let the youngsters have at it, while we relax in the small trees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice logs Stig. What are the marks on the end, is that the deduction?

Brendon, is that a firewood harvest? What skidder are you running, that cage looks like a 440/540 Deere?

Thanks for adding to the thread everyone.

Yep, firewood. Its water company property. Hes been harvesting there for years. Ive been there for the last three, in winter. Part time, whenever ya want gig for both of us.

548, grapple and winch. I like that machine, though it is the only one ive ever ran anyways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isn't that a Treefarmer forwarder in the background? Or is it a Franklin?

Back