The Logging Thread

Operator was ok. He was quartering back up the hill grabbing logs. He grabbed a butt log and when he picked up the swinging grapple it swung down hill. He tried to set it back down but wasn't fast enough. It hit the stop and started the cat sliding down the hill sideways on the heavy brush that was under him. I think it stopped when he hit a stump and flopped over on its side. No rolling, just tipped over.

The jammer was working right next to him so he was able to tip it upright. He just dug a flat spot in the hill above the cat with the heal rack and then pulled it over. Let it sit til the next day and it was good as new.

Oops,:O The boss pissed and moaned about this for a long time. He blamed it on needles collecting around the exhaust but they never did know for sure. The operator said it was burning really well before he even noticed it. He grabbed an extinguisher but it was too late, it did nothing. I guess when the hydraulic lines started blowing up it was pretty exciting. Luckily it was late fall and there was no fire threat to the forest.

jammer 001.jpg

jammer 002.jpg

Not again:O The truck driver was ok too. It had been super dry and the dust was deep on the road when along came a good thunder shower that soaked everything, including the road. Probably should of parked it but the boss pushed him up the road until he was able to get going on his own. He didn't make it far though... I was right behind him in my pickup, when he reached this corner with a slight outslope the whole thing started sliding. It went over fairly slow until all that weight reached the tipping point and then it slammed down, busting all the wrappers and sending logs rolling. I ran up to the truck to make sure he was ok and he was in the cab gathering up his coffee cup and a few other things. I climbed up on top and held the door open for him so he could get out. After that it was like children of the corn, people started showing up from all over the place. I have know idea where they were coming from but here they were.

012_10A.jpg

011_09.jpg

Yep, it sure does. The boss was moving the yarder down the road one day with the carriage hanging off the side of it. He forgot it was there and when he tried to squeeze by one of the crummies he ended up dragging up over the top of it. I didn't get to see that one. He promptly had his dad bring the lowboy out and haul it to his house, put it in the garage where no one could see it...

That's not counting saws that got run over, side by side that got ran over by the skidder, the brown truck getting flopped over on its side again by a different driver, the new blue truck getting flopped over on its top, the yarder carriage being destroyed a couple times, the timbco catching on fire, skidders tipped over, loaders tipped over and feelings getting hurt...:cry:

Last of the carnage:\: This is what happens when you get complacent, stupid mistake. I'd been logging for about 13 years when this happened. I was limbing down a log and while back baring a limb I just caught it with the tip of the bar. It kicked off that little limb right into the side of my foot. :O I hollered at my sawing partner on the radio and he came down the hill and packed my saw to the pickup for me. By the time I got there blood was running out the cut in my boot and my sock was completely soaked. I wasn't sure I wanted to take off my boot and look at it but I did. My sawing partner wrapped it up. No major damage but it did require a trip to the emergency room.

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

I actually killed those poor toenails hiking in steep country with wore out hiking boots.

What hurt more than anything was when I had to go back to emergency room and have a healed over stitch removed. One the new nurse dude missed when he pulled the rest of them. The doc said, "this is going to hurt", then he jammed a sharp pair of tweezers into my foot, grabbed ahold of that stitch and yanked it out! Thought I was going to wet myself. He handed me a bandade and said, "have a good day":lol:

Hella stories, Buddy!! :lol: Docs can be dicks...but you still gotta love 'em. eeerrrrr??? That may not have come out right....

Wow that was a freaking kickass run of pics and stories, thanks for posting! It's a shame those mishaps happened but good to share so we can all learn.

I found it fascinating that you let the dozer sit for a day and then it was fine to run, no wrenches needed. And that a seemingly harmless T storm caused mayhem with a dusty road.

Btw, the pics of the big tree you fell- if it needed that many wedges in I was wondering if maybe jacking it would have been easier.

Hella stories, Buddy!! :lol: Docs can be dicks...but you still gotta love 'em. eeerrrrr??? That may not have come out right....

I got to visiting with him while he was sewing up my foot and he was really cool. Seemed like a true professional. He was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. After that he went into the medical profession. He said he let his pilots license go because he didn't have the time to stay proficient at flying and staying on top of things in the medical field. He seemed very dedicated to his job.

Wow that was a freaking kickass run of pics and stories, thanks for posting! It's a shame those mishaps happened but good to share so we can all learn.

I found it fascinating that you let the dozer sit for a day and then it was fine to run, no wrenches needed. And that a seemingly harmless T storm caused mayhem with a dusty road.

Btw, the pics of the big tree you fell- if it needed that many wedges in I was wondering if maybe jacking it would have been easier.

Yes it would have been easier to jack it over but this was the only tree that really needed persuaded and a half dozen wedges are way lighter than a jack. I can't remember how far from the road I was but it was aways.

And you still need the wedges and ax.

IME, its easier to beat over a big tree with more, rather than less, wedges.

Back