The Logging Thread

One company I worked for gave $500 for Christmas every year. Not enough to get rich but it was nice. I always got the feeling that most company owners didn't like log cutters. I am going to guess it is because they are usually the highest paid man on the crew and are typically very independent individuals.

Yep.

Being both, I''l say no.

Climbers are part of a team, relying to some extent on their ground crew.
Fallers work on their own and rely only on themself.

Makes for a different mind set IMO.

Nice looking country. I'm particularly interested in the Amsteel (or equivalent) synthetic guy lines used for the lift tree and the tensioning device they used. Anybody seen that? It's always wire rope used here for guy backs.

Nice tidy piles there. Ours don't look like that. Too much variety of tree. Not that I'm around any kind of production logging, but it's clearing jobs, with logs going to the mill.

From the Official Work Pictures Thread:

"We don't have an Official logging thread, so I guess this goes here. Myrtle's first official log on my pine job. 30' x22" white pine. Going to be a ridge beam in a Cruck frame. I've been playing around all week getting my skid trail opened up and the snow packed down while the snow was "warm". Now that it's cold again, the going is pretty good. I pulled this guy all the way back without any troubles. I'll try two of them next time. I've got a couple of sticky wickets on the skid trail, I'm working on a pretty tired set of tire chains, I might have to put them on if the conditions get bad. My skid trail is about twice as long as I would like, but the shortcut to the mill yard that was used in '93 is blocked by a couple of uprooted trees. No way to move the stumps. At least there is no trucking this way, which is good, I don't think the Kubota will pick this one up. Mill is in front of Kubota."

View attachment 53501
You could grind the stumps with a Vermeer 70

Attachments

• 3A2D20C1-09FE-4DE6-9D7B-84F03BA9736B.jpeg
    3A2D20C1-09FE-4DE6-9D7B-84F03BA9736B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 2AC79723-B722-4C93-AF0B-9A9272BEB6EB.jpeg
    2AC79723-B722-4C93-AF0B-9A9272BEB6EB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Nice looking country. I'm particularly interested in the Amsteel (or equivalent) synthetic guy lines used for the lift tree and the tensioning device they used. Anybody seen that? It's always wire rope used here for guy backs.

No but they use amsteel for tail rope strops back home.

Makes alloy more sense than packing a 3/4 strop plus Block around.

Over here the loggers use ratchet tie downs to support skyline spars. Most of the stuff logged here is tiny like in Scotland.

Seeing a mechanical slack pulling carriage just makes me feel sad.

I managed to keep my mouth shut about that.
Thanks for stepping up.

Back