Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I Learned...

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

A couple of snips off a woodburning forum i haunt.

Question:

I have a wood fire that I would like to burn seasoned ( approx. 1 year ) Eucalyptus wood in . ( I live on property where it is prolific ) is this a viable fuel ? Does it heat well & produce good coals ?

Answer:

I have no personal experience with Eucalyptus, however I have spoken to some people who live in Isreal and they assure me that it burns well (it is the only wood they burn).
    I'll see if I can find some written information on it.

11/2007 A google search for "eucalyptus firewood" turned up numerous articles on it's use as well as several advertisments for cords of eucalyptus for sale. So it seems it's use as a firewood is fairly commonplace.

I'm Australian and moved here about 3 years ago. Eucalyptus is not a soft wood. Whoever told you that is telling you porky pies. I consider oak to be a soft wood, when compared to Eucalyptus. You'll want to season it for at least 2-3 years, and that's split. In OZ, they would season it for a lot longer.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

You'd best not be telling me porky pies, mate!!!

Lol. The trash talking is hard to take over there at hearth.com

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I bet it can get ROUGH!!!

I did a search on Blaze King that you mentioned and found the thread that went on ad infinitum on a problem installation/stove/or wood problem. I have not been able to finish it. Mildly entertaining.

The one guy said you should find your grade school english teacher and punch therm in the mouth. A little testy, are we?

Probably just worn out and cranky from trying to burn gopher wood We are so spoiled here, I know people that heat with wood here that will only take certain hardwoods, and even then will not burn them if they get into a good source of oak. After a few years they just torch the whole pile and start fresh.
    Kyle

Hearth.com is a pretty cool place to discuss all things woodburning and pellet and boiler and alt stuff too. As a sweep I find it interesting and helpful to stay up on tech and learn about all different types of stoves and installations. There are some regulars there who really know their stuff when it comes to woodheat.

Square peg, round world. Dave Shepard's Avatar

Have you ever worked on a rocket mass heater? I follow an off grid family on YouTube in Idaho that heats a small cabin with two cords of Doug fir every winter. Very neat.

No I haven't worked on one. I've read about them and seen some vids too. The consensus that I've gotten through forums I visit is that their efficiency claims are overstated and that their living conditions aren't as comfortable. Also that they can not always be as simple/easy to run and maintain as YouTube shows. Also up here there is no code around them yet so no one will insure them and as a certified sweep I don't think I'd clean one.

They make silly claims like 10x as efficient. I've seen/read the arguments go on and on but you simply can't get 10x more efficient or even close to it than say a 70-80% efficient modern stove.

They do look interesting though and I commend innovation in wood burning. But I don't ever see them becoming mainstream myself. I think you'll find them mostly in alternative type of lifestyle/living. I know they can be made to be not quite so unattractive, but still.....

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

You can make them pretty much invisible, if you build them as an integrated part of a new house.
    You can even use them for baking bread or pizza.

Personally I prefer a central heating system, because it is easier to regulate the temperature.
    I think you, as a chimney weeper, would love my furnace set-up.

It measures temperature and water content in the smoke and adjusts the amount of air to fit whatever I'm burning at the time.
    Once it reaches working temperature, you can't even tell it is running, no smoke at all.
    Since I have a large buffer tank with water, it runns flat out all the time, untill that water is hot, then shuts off.

The water lasts me a day in winter, so I have to fire it up when I come home from work.
    Spring and fall it lasts 2 days.