Homemade gear

Looks a very good fab.Is that winch a self tailing ? Gotta get the trucker's straps very tight and they do stretch a little first time or two w loads.

Ain't pretty, but she works well. Non self tailing but other than that it does great. Have the drill attachment for it as well :)

90665.jpg

Needs some paint, and you're good to go. I was thinking about trying a non self tailing. There's always big strong ones going for around 100$ or so on ebay, and it can't be much to just tail it by hand. Or buy a " wincher" , a self tailing add on, I think Barient makes them.
The Hobbs mod looks handy, and I wonder why they don't build them like that.

Rusty, those rings look pretty damn professional. I can't believe they didn't get picked up by the arb industry sooner. Some bomber equipment there.

Also bolted a small boat trailer winch to my usual lowering device for smallish lifts and pre-tensioning. Got the idea from the Stein 3001 winch.
20190130_063806.jpg

The non tailing winch works just fine, just a little more awkward. I can't trust those wincher things to reliably hold, but i always thought about an idler pulley the length of the drum to act like a hand holding it, which is what they teach for sailing as the proper way to lower a capstan. More pressure would just increase the hold, and it would be easy to build. I planned on modifying it more, then sandblasting it to paint or galvanize. It's so overbuilt that a little rust won't hurt it for a decade or two :lol:

It's like sex, take care of the sides and the middle will take care of itself!!! And no, that's drinking in the garage welds :lol:

I like that. Prolly make that comment to our mechanic next time he tells me to get away from one of his welders.:lol:

:lol: Still readable...and recognizing the prolly part is one step closer to perfection.

You guys really are funny....

Back