Dump Sites

colin-roberts

Young Arborist
How do you go about securing a dump site? Near the one area we work there is a municipal yard where we can dump brush and chips for free. The other area (Toronto) so far all we have found is a dump but its really hard to estimate the cost when its $5 for the first 20 kg and then x amount per kg after that.. Tree's are way to hard to estimate to pass that on to customers. if we payed x per ton or so it would be way easier. Anyone know bout going bout finding dump sites or any good toronto ones?

You ARE paying X/ton. Couldn't you do the math on approx how many kilos your truck is, then bid on that. In my opinion, if you're worried about overcharging the clients a few kilos, then you're cutting things way too close, no? For us I know that it's about $50-$80 to drop a load of chips. On small jobs I ignore the dump fees because really it might be $10. But on bigger jobs I'll remember to add $50 or so (or more) depending on how many loads of chips I expect that job to produce. Couldn't you just do the backwards math on that to covert it to kilos?

When I first started it was confusing because our local dump doesn't do it by weight. They eye ball it. They know a small pickup of brush should be about this much and a lg dump truck with chips should be about that much- but at first it seemed arbitrary. But after a while I realized they were VERY consistent and nowadays most of our guys can predict within $5-$10 how much the dump fee is gonna be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The city is weird the first 50 kilos is 10 then every kilo after that is x. Gets expensive quick when you figure a ton can be dumped for 100/ton in some places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish the dumps here would eyeball it, then you could bring them a six pack and get a break. Instead, you have to pass through a scale at the entrance, all official and not cheap.

We have a ad in the local paper offering free mulch. We give our loads of mulch away every day. The reason we do it is because ONCE we paid 1,500.00 to dump. Not kidding, palm mulch is very heavy.

I have my own dump site across the road from the wood yard. Waste wood/mixed loads all go there. Once a year I hire a dozer to push the years waste over a bank. I usually work no farther then 10 minutes from the yard so dumping has always been a non issue for me. Other things however make up for that.

I have many dumpsites, a place called compost management(free), my wood lot(free), a nursery(free), my buddies property(free), and about two dozen guys with outdoor wood boilers to take the big wood that I don't want for my firewood operation and they take it all willow, pine/spruce, elm, boxelder and all the other junk species.

I have many dumpsites, a place called compost management(free), my wood lot(free), a nursery(free), my buddies property(free), and about two dozen guys with outdoor wood boilers to take the big wood that I don't want for my firewood operation and they take it all willow, pine/spruce, elm, boxelder and all the other junk species.

This is the way to go. Put an add on kijiji and you should be able to get free spots to dump. Keep a list in the truck and use the closest one to your work site.

I am able to dump nearly all my material for free either at a recycling yard, inert fill dump, or my family's property where we sort/burn/scrap/haul to the inert site/sell to customers. (Trees/dirt/concrete/etc)

I am able to dump nearly all my material for free either at a recycling yard, inert fill dump, or my family's property where we sort/burn/scrap/haul to the inert site/sell to customers. (Trees/dirt/concrete/etc)

Lucky bastard lol. No one here takes wood, it's about $33/ton to dump wood/brush here. One place takes anything up to 8" for a pretty good price. Normally $30 to dump my 12' dump trailer stuffed full with brush. If it's good firewood we have a place or two we can dump it and split it later. Other than that it's a pain in the ass to get rid of material here since the two main plant debris places have closed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy land, establish the sorting and burning area off the main road... save money! My area starts almost 800' off the county road. People driving by still see the fires though! Had one neighbor come up the drive to make sure it wasn't the house on fire!

I believe the niche in the not so distant future around here is going to be utilizing wood waste as biomass fuel. I would like to get into that industry when the opportunity arises. I believe that Ed has mentioned it is already big business over the pond, it is just a matter of time for it to take off here.

It's big money in certain areas. I was considering it hard last year, as there was plans in the works for a biomass plant here in town. But I guess they did and study and figured there wouldn't be enough material here to produce enough fuel for the plant. Mainly because a lot of the chips get dumped in the country or on horse farms around here. If there was one central location, I believe enough material could be produced here. But since then they've cancelled the plans to build a plant here. We have our eye on some property, just have to work out the zoning and save up some money. Hopefully this storm we had helps with that, it's already given us the money to get our chip truck back up and running after sitting since November.

I burn once a year. That's all that's allowed. Either in the spring or fall but only once and there's only a two week window to do it in and the venting index has to be favorable. Mines gonna be visible from space this year.

I don't bring all the junk wood home either. A lot of it goes to the local dump for 20/ton. Just bid it in.

I don't want chunks like these at home. image.jpg

Then rejoice in the fact that your truck can defy gravity.

Back