Best Rope Bags?

tophopper

The resident asshole
Looking for some feedback on rope bags. What do you use? Why do you like it or not?

Im looking for a bag I can keep a full DRT climbing kit with harness, helmet, and handsaw. And a second bag for an SRT kit.

Been eyeballing the DMM bags

Any thoughts or feedback?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im tired of bags that don't hold up. Willing to spend a little more for quality and longevity.

Im wondering how well they would fit into a low side tool box on my pick up truck.

the orange metolious packs are pretty sweet. you have to carry your saddle separate with the one I had but it was a pretty rugged bag.

I'm still running HC bags. Bob built a winner. Although IMO his original ones are superior to the mass marketed ones. I'm basing this on scientific testing of being hurled out of trees.

I've been more than satisfied with my Sherrill Ropeboss deluxe bag. Though this is far beyond a simple rope bag, more like climbing kit luggage.

I have the largest model and have the shoulder strap harness, which is just about a requirement if you load the beast up fully and have to carry it any significant distance. I have used it for checked luggage for my climbing gear when traveling by air many times to instructor gigs, and it has never been damaged even the slightest bit. That says something.

It swallows a huge amount of gear...spurs, helmet, saddle (or two), SRT rig, 150' of Poison Ivy, cable core and rope lanyards, throwline cube (with a couple of bags and lines), couple of hitchclimber setups, adjustable friction saver, a batch of biners, a couple of pulleys...you get the idea. 50 pounds on the nose, so I can check it :D.

I think the basic model might be just as useful, and cheaper by a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the same thing B, just not the large version. I can fit 150' of line in it and my saddle.

The DMM bags are narrower in profile and taller. The shorter fatter Sherrill bags are tough to squeeze into a truck tool box especially with anything attached to the outside of the bag. And I am less than impressed with the quality of the shoulder strap harness. Ive had to bend the clips closed many times to keep them from springing open.

True on those clips. They ought to be built better. Thinking on replaceing them with a small screwlink, some day.

The Metolious packs fit great on your back and you can fit anything in em'. But lately, I've been getting into plastic totes, there just so handy.

Not much fits into those low side toolboxes without a fight. When I was keeping ropes in those damn boxes, I honestly preferred Tyvek chicken feed bags, they make for a good conversation starter, too.

Im tired of bags that don't hold up. Willing to spend a little more for quality and longevity.

Im wondering how well they would fit into a low side tool box on my pick up truck.

Same here. I have one of the new DMM bags and so far I like it, but the true test is time.

DMM Bags are NICE, but Metolius is tough. For me, its no contest. The Metolius Quarter Dome or sentinel are the best back pack style bags available. The smaller two, Express, and Mescalito are awesome as well, but use a slightly thinner Durathane.

None of their stuff is big on organization but thats fine by me.

I have never seen a more durable or better crafted bag. The best bang for your buck for sure.

Here is a video I did. I mis-spoke and switched the names of the smaller bags and another error I think, so watch with caution. this isnt a public video because I have to reshoot it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtjaJxLWzwc

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NtjaJxLWzwc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I struggled with this for awhile. I found these had a pretty die-hard following.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-luggage_duffels-filter-category-carry

I'm happy with the quality. Granted they just move from the closet to the truck and then kick around on the jobsite for awhile, but they seem to work great.
Large one easily holds all my climbing gear (minus spurs). Yellow is for heavy rigging, and holds blocks and 200' of 5/8" Arborplex no problem.

DSC03569.JPG

DSC03570.JPG

DSC03571.JPG

DSC03572.JPG

All the seams and attachment points are pretty well tacked down, and the bottom is padded and covered in Cordura. Not much for internal pockets, but I too am ok with that.

DSC03574.JPG

Cheers

~Sam

Same here. I have one of the new DMM bags and so far I like it, but the true test is time.

FJR, do you have the DMM 70meter bag?...does it stay up on its own to flake rope into or does it fumble/ fold down like most bags

I hope Nick does a vid on new DMM bags as well ;)

Thanks FJR, I was wondering about there biggest gear bag the 70 liter porter with back pad and shoulder straps to haul gear around...anyone using this bag here??

Would like to see a review on this one

I've been using a Big Agnes rolling duffel for several years now. It easily holds all of my climbing kit, plus room for more, has wheels, backpack straps, is waterproof (more like rainproof), and is seemingly indestructible. Except for the wheels. I've had to replace them a couple times now, probably my own fault for overloading and general abuse. It's also been really good as a check in bag for hauling my gear back and forth between Hong Kong and the States.

Duffles1000px-zm.jpg

I like the look of those bags, Leon. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be checking into them.

My old employer, the USFS, has made me an offer I am finding quite difficult to reject, re contracting in as a climbing/sawyer instructor. WAY more $$ than I could have imagined. I don't really need the dinero, but it's always been some of the most rewarding work I did back then. I hope it goes through.

Anyway, the air travel back then, all the hassles with schlepping a gear bag or two of climbing equipment cross-country through two or three airports was always a pain in the azz times 10. Those bags look the treat.

Back