What Is Your Weakness?

I see my aged weakness, and clearly...but the truth is, I earned every bit of those aches and pains...what's not to celebrate, if you look at it right?

I know I'm lucky to have ended up with a comfortable retirement, and I can only wish and hope it can be the same for all of y'all, my friends of many of those years now.

One of my weakness's is that I get frustrated easily; either the tree is taking too long, the money isn't right, the customer/groundy is annoying me (doesn't take much) etc. I'm not an everyday climber and I do enjoy it but I need to work on my attitude a bit.

That's good advice Butch offers. Just chill and do your part efficiently...the rest of them will roast in hell of their own accord, no need for you to wish it on them :D.

Everybody gets frustrated from time to time Chris. The trick is to not blow up at the time and try to discuss things calmly later. It's easier said than done sometimes when you're in a bind and your groundy is goofing off or dragging around but you're way better off holding your peace at the time. We've probably all worked for or around screamers and it's not a good reputation to have.

One of my weakness's is that I get frustrated easily; either the tree is taking too long, the money isn't right, the customer/groundy is annoying me (doesn't take much) etc. I'm not an everyday climber and I do enjoy it but I need to work on my attitude a bit.

Easily frustrated here too. Worse if I start the day with the Big Shot and still don't have a rope in the tree after 10 minutes.

If you're working in the Hills District around Sydney you'll be loving the hot days - and hotter ones to come. Not even summer time yet and already plenty of +30ºC (85ºF) I try to schedule work further up the mountain–closer to Katoomba–on the hotter days but we're just gonna have to sweat it out this year.

Steve

Hi Ray,
Luckily I wont start blowing up and screaming at folks (not yet anyway) but I will swear at inanimate objects etc, its the loss of focus and rushed manner that comes hand in hand with it that mostly makes it an issue for me.

G'day Steve,
I'll be honest and say I absolutely dread the heat, we had a good taste of whats to come last Friday working in a townhouse complex in Rooty Hill at 40 deg C (104 deg F). Im planing on taking all of January off so hopefully I will avoid the peak days.

Chris

Not blowing up has become easier the older I've gotten but still happens from time to time. That only happens after I've come down and had at least one calm discussion with the boys on the ground or running ropes. What gets to me is when I got a tight drop zone and they won't cut stuff up and mangle bushes and other things dragging it out.

I'm with you there Billy. Or when someone interprets "let it run" as "let it fall" and a crater is created in a manicured lawn or bushes are smashed. I'm thinking, "I could've done that by myself, why did he think I put a line on it?" Watching some of Reg's videos and the calm and respectful way he addresses his groundies is inspiring.

I've found that the intercoms help a lot on shit like that.
Being able to communicate what you want done without having to shout and scream has changed the game.

Also makes it easier to give someone a chewing out without the client noticing.
We try to keep mistakes "in house" to present a professional image outwards.

My strength is making it to Friday nite, usually feel like a million, tired bucks, but energized for the weekend to recharge the batts, mentally and physically. A little free, unstructured time is awesome.

Knowing how long a job will take, aka reading the crystal ball. How, not a problem... How long, longer than I think.

Back