What Is Your Weakness?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I actually just got an order from treestuff to assemble a few friction savers to do that with, i just haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. Does the prusik grab webbing reliably? thats new to me, never tried it.

A quick redirect of your climb line to the top you are on helps a great deal. I often just take a loop runner with a biner, cinch it and run my line through it. Now my TIP I can sit into is on where I am working. Works great on skinny stuff. As well does a second wrap with the flip line to hold you from turning round the stem.
Just a couple things to try.
Comfort comes when you not only have confidence in your gear, but use the gear as a safety while you climb the tree.
Climbing the tree, but not the gear....

O.P. - My weakness? I’m much more interested in talking about your weakness than mine.

Mentally I have to work past skinny top discomfort at times by thinking through that I can easily climb and trust a 4x4 six feet off the ground so can’t I also trust this 4 inch top 70 feet above the ground?

Physically, on take downs, I use pole spurs on thin bark (85 percent of the time.) Three points of contact on the tree on each foot plus whatever my lanyards are set to plus tie in point if all else fails.

Also there are lots of ways to accomplish the same result, “Tie on the Extendable Power Polesaw.”

I don't like riding the crane hook when it is windy, nor when the computer wire gets fouled on some branch way up at the top of the boom, then having to get taken up there to see what is going on. i get skeered, all that height with nothing underneath, can't wait to get down. Still, I will check out the view. :D

I actually just got an order from treestuff to assemble a few friction savers to do that with, i just haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. Does the prusik grab webbing reliably? thats new to me, never tried it.
I checked TreeStuff's site and they don't have these double loop friction saver prusiks, I bought mine from Sherrils about 10 years ago, the above pic I posted of it is from Sherrills catalog. I suggest to Nick that they stock them if you can get them.
Yes the prusik grips the friction saver fine but you need that smaller 2nd loop with a twist to keep the small ring end in position for easier adjustment.

The pic shows the climber ascending up to it but he has also climbed that spar with the system as a lanyard on his D rings with his split tail prusik right up to the rings. I use it as a adjustable lanyard with a Buckingham 6 ft friction saver, I keep the rings wider apart on the sides of the trunk as I go up. No worries about getting sucked into the stem if your stem should split from a gust of wind while your topping.
I can sit down and get some weight off my spurs which is nice on those long climbs. Swinging around on those skinny leaning stems is a lot easier too.

Attachments

• 20140118_172917.jpg
    20140118_172917.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 109
We can make those, no problem. Personally I think that a usaver is much cooler, and that SRT is even simpler than both those choices.

Patrick, come on out to Indy, we can do some more climbing together!

It seems most everyone avoided answering what their weakness in the tree is.

Mine, using a throwball in the tree is a nightmare for me. I also am not in love with rigging the top off of itself. Usually the center stem. Moving down and butt hitching I don't care about as the wood gets bigger. But roping over the top up on skinny wood makes me anxious.

To be honest, I've been doing this for so long, that any weaknesses have long ago been burnt out of me.

I tend to yell at groundies too much, though.

I'm sure your hardwood falling could use some polish. :lol:

I tend to run out of patience before I run out of tree on pruning work. Otherwise I feel I'm a fairly competent all round climber, although I haven't really kept up to date with techniques and equipment in the last 4-5 years.

Back