What Is Your Weakness?

HBP

TreeHouser
Maybe weakness isn't the right word, but what are some of the things you all have trouble with, and how you worked through it.

I have been doing residential tree work at big green for 6 months now. I can honestly say that I enjoy tree work and my job. I try to learn as much as I can and absorb knowledge from everyone I work with. I have been doing a lot of pruning and some removals and feel like I am pretty comfortable and capable in a tree on most days. But when I am in spurs, on a skinny leaning spar, above my tie in I CAN NOT get comfortable at all. I manage to work through it, but Im super tense and nervous the whole time. On a vertical spar with some girth to it I'm great, no issues there, but once i get the brush roped off and its time to remove my tie in i get shaky. Its like a security blanket for me. Just wondering if you all had any insight, tips, or old guy knowledge to help me not seem like such a wimp at work.

Thanks gang.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its usually in a forked tree, tied in to one side and spurred in to the other one to remove it. Then i have the same problem when it's time to remove the top and just tie in to the spar.
Just cant get comfy

Think through the system or safeties that are in place and identify what is bugging you. Do you choke your climb line off to the stem as a second TIP when throwing the top or passing your TIP?

For me if I can look at the technique/system that I'm using and think ya I'm safe then I know the fear is irrational and can put it aside.

When I was first learning to do removals I was given every skinny twisty crappy leaning tree, it was a little nerve racking at first but you learn to deal with it. what squish said about cinching up your line or lanyard so there is no risk of falling far is a good idea. confidence goes a long way and if you can feel confident you can do most anything. also a lot of guys have a tendency to lean in towards the tree when a little nervous. leaning back keeping your lanyard tight might feel awkward at times, 'specialy on the skinny, but it will keep you much more stable. and like butch said, keep on keepin on

On hardwood removals and open canopy pine I like to set a high TIP for my saddles bridge and use my lanyard for a 2nd TIP , I'm secure and if I have to bail out of the tree my bridge hookup will get me out of there.
For trees like spruce where a high TIP is not possible, I rig my 200 ft 13mm climbing line into a lanyard with a Petzl Macro grab advanced with a micro pulley attached to my saddle. If I have to bail off the spar I can, leaving stubs is a good idea.
I always tie a stopper knot on the end of my climb rope inside its storage bag . Also when running the saw I use a 2nd lanyard [steel core] as a 2nd TIP.

Sometimes I'll find myself straining to stay balanced or in a certain position. Then I'll shift just a few inches and the strain goes away. Work positioning is a big part of tree work. Be sure you are setting your safeties optimally so that your gear does the work instead of your muscles. You need that strength to work, not maintain a position. (although sometimes it seems the only way to maintain a position is to hunker down and just do it - I try to avoid those as much as possible)

Climbing trees without the pressure of working. Rec Climb climb climb. You're trying to work on balance, muscle memory, coordination, comfort at heights, gear use and organization...or yeah, and not cutting yourself, killing yourself otherwise, falling, worrying about obstacles and ground crew beneath.

A high tie-in makes everything better. Get used to swinging on your rope and trusting your gear. That might mean going to a park or something and setting up a big swing and just have time hanging in free space and moving. It will be easier to swing around in the tree in some ways without spurs. You don't have to worry about gaffing yourself if you're not wearing gaffs.

A good trad (removable "protection"/ anchor points placed in natural rock features) climber taught me a lead climbing mantra, "Climbing is fun, my gear is good, falling is safe". If this is not true, change something.

In tree climbing, you might say Climbing is Fun! My Gear is Good! I am Safe!

Differentiate between fear and danger.

Have you read the beginner tree climbing thread?

Why are you above your TIP? Climbing DdRT? Do you mean you don't have fall arrest because of no limbs below you? You can use an adjustable false crotch so you always have fall protection.

Sometimes I'll find myself straining to stay balanced or in a certain position. Then I'll shift just a few inches and the strain goes away. Work positioning is a big part of tree work. Be sure you are setting your safeties optimally so that your gear does the work instead of your muscles. You need that strength to work, not maintain a position. (although sometimes it seems the only way to maintain a position is to hunker down and just do it - I try to avoid those as much as possible)

I think this describes my situation the best, i know i am safe and i trust my gear, its just getting into a position that i can relax a little to get my work done.

Climbing trees without the pressure of working. Rec Climb climb climb. You're trying to work on balance, muscle memory, coordination, comfort at heights, gear use and organization...or yeah, and not cutting yourself, killing yourself otherwise, falling, worrying about obstacles and ground crew beneath.

A high tie-in makes everything better. Get used to swinging on your rope and trusting your gear. That might mean going to a park or something and setting up a big swing and just have time hanging in free space and moving. It will be easier to swing around in the tree in some ways without spurs. You don't have to worry about gaffing yourself if you're not wearing gaffs.
Once i get the gaffs off of my legs i am 10 times more comfortable. I do a LOT of pruning and rarely get nervous or psyched out while on a rope, jumping, swinging, upside down, right side up, etc.... I Just love being on a rope.

Thanks for all of the input already guys. Mental notes taken.

What's you're first name, HBP?

Can you describe your climbing system and lanyard or flipline set-up, including what kind of saddle you wear?

Is it work positioning tips that you're looking for?

Frax mentioned the use of loop runners/ sling for footloops, which is a pretty known idea, and if wrapped around a slick limb, it is something to stand on, maybe like felt bottomed shoes for fly fishing. An interesting trick for traction.

540* lanyard wrap?

Cutting a notch on the underside of a limb with about a 50% angle is always a pain to me. That one angle where it's uncomfortable to stand in spikes OR straddle the limb and reach, look and cut underneath while trying to stay on the high side. I know I could choke a couple of loop runners for foot holds but I think it's more trouble than it's worth. I get it done but it's just a pain. I usually end up double wrapping my lanyard and doing the straddle.

What's you're first name, HBP?

Can you describe your climbing system and lanyard or flipline set-up, including what kind of saddle you wear?

Is it work positioning tips that you're looking for?

Frax mentioned the use of loop runners/ sling for footloops, which is a pretty known idea, and if wrapped around a slick limb, it is something to stand on, maybe like felt bottomed shoes for fly fishing. An interesting trick for traction.

540* lanyard wrap?

Like butch said, I'm Patrick

Ergovation saddle
Drt system Hitchclimber with a VT
12' tri-tech lanyard,distel hitch, mico pulley, triple action snap
I also have a yale maxi flip steel core that i use sometimes, but i like the versatility of my rope lanyard.

I guess work positioning pointers are kinda what Im, looking for. Just recently started using loop runners and stirrup hitches for footholds while pruning, never really thought about using the same technique while using spurs. Brain fart on my end.

Patrick , I've been using this setup off and on especially on tall conifers. Very secure.

Attachments

• 20140118_172917.jpg
    20140118_172917.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 113
Back