Does Anyone Need Any Gear?

Actually, i do need some gear.

Question for youse guys, the spurs that Nick recommended are the Buckingham steel climbers with the steel velcro wrap pads. Is there any safety considerations with the velcro pads compared to the regular type? I have been shopping for my first set of spurs.

There is no safety consideration with the velcro wraps, they are quite secure, and that is what I use. However, most folks are recommending the stiff shin cup style pads over the wraps, I think for comfort and stability reasons. I haven't had a chance to try them myself.

Something like these: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=228&item=306#detail

The next big area of contention is small spikes or big spikes? Now, in my opinion, that depends on the average bark thickness on the trees in your area, but this is a topic of some debate...

Actually, i do need some gear.

Question for youse guys, the spurs that Nick recommended are the Buckingham steel climbers with the steel velcro wrap pads. Is there any safety considerations with the velcro pads compared to the regular type? I have been shopping for my first set of spurs.

They still strap to your foot/ankle with strong leather straps/buckles. The Velcro pads wrap just under your knee.

They won't go anywhere. :)

Thanks Nick. I have been having a good time shopping!
I was just curious about the security of velcro, didn't want my country A## falling out the tree!
I knew you would not recommend something unsafe, but I did not know if velcro was for beginners or experts, as i am decidedly a tree virgin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even if your spurs fell off your feet, your rope or lanyard will always stop you from falling outta the tree.

Gecko's are great, but keep in mind they have a 240 lb weight limit. I use them and have probably gone over that limit with a bigger saw hanging off of the saddle.

I believe you but why are they junk? I have never used them.

Flop around, and restrict movement in a bad way

I gave them to someone on here....can't recall
I have a couple pairs of old bucks somewhere, I look

I have yet to hear about a broken set of geckos......rocking carbon fiber set for more then 5 years

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried these out for a day... pretty terrible!

Attachments

• crappy spurs.jpg
    crappy spurs.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 165
I personally wouldn't like footplates, but are any of the others saying they are JUNK 350lbs?

Im trying to look at it from a perspective different than my own. I know that at 5 or 6 hours that the soles of my feet hurt from standing in spurs. Is it unbearable? No, but I weigh 200lbs loaded to the gills with saws and gear, not 400.

Think about the difference between a steel shank boot and a non steel shanked boot.

I need a longer set of ankle straps, I HAVE to wrap the strap around the shank to keep my spikes properly positioned on my feet, especially my left foot. Nothing else works, and this goes both for Bashlins and Climb Rights.
With the Climb Rights being a bit bulkier, the ankle strap is too short to get a good wrap around the shank...is anything available?

I have two pairs of buckingham steel spurs. One set with pole gaffs, and one set with tree gaffs. I have the pole hooks from when I went to lineman school. Both sets have the angled velcro pads with steel inserts. Before these I used the caddi pads, and I like them, but I prefer the angled velcro with insert these days.

As for wrapping the lower strap around the shank, I have never had to do this... have you tried tightening the bottom strap first before you put on the top strap?

Geckos look nice, but I'm cheap. :)

I've always wrapped the lower strap myself. I've never even tried it without I think. I also always tighten the lower strap first.

Fiona, I also wrap the lower strap around the shank and always have plenty of spare to buckle down. Maybe you have some unusually short straps?

Check the length of your straps. The replacements that TreeStuff sells are 26": http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=71&item=1507

That banner is just way too easy to click on! I'll bet TreeStuff will be easily paying for their sponsorship here.

Back