Page 94 of 104 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

It's quite amazing you've gotten that skilled so quickly!

Outstanding Reg! Nice dynamics, chords well synced...all around great job.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    It's quite amazing you've gotten that skilled so quickly!
    I didn't take the convention route. I just went straight to learning stuff I wanted to play. I didn't want to build up to a piece like that over 6 years. Instead I just went straight at it, and others. I can read music, but I can't play what I'm reading and be anything like up to speed. But I can read and learn what's written in the sheet. Then practice over and over, until I remember it. A sequence, then a page, and so on. If I was just reading and learning easy stuff like old MacDonald farm, the sounds that I'd be hearing would give me no incentive to practice, and id probably have given up long ago. But when you play and hear stuff that has complexity and depth, it entices you all the more and makes you want to learn it. Obviousl you end up with lots of holes and flaws in your game is the downside....but I can hopefully fill those incidently over the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Outstanding Reg! Nice dynamics, chords well synced...all around great job.
    Thanks. Nice of you to say so

Quote Originally Posted by RegC View Post
    I didn't take the convention route. I just went straight to learning stuff I wanted to play. I didn't want to build up to a piece like that over 6 years. Instead I just went straight at it, and others. I can read music, but I can't play what I'm reading and be anything like up to speed. But I can read and learn what's written in the sheet. Then practice over and over, until I remember it. A sequence, then a page, and so on. If I was just reading and learning easy stuff like old MacDonald farm, the sounds that I'd be hearing would give me no incentive to practice, and id probably have given up long ago. But when you play and hear stuff that has complexity and depth, it entices you all the more and makes you want to learn it. Obviousl you end up with lots of holes and flaws in your game is the downside....but I can hopefully fill those incidently over the coming years.
    This is actually very conventional for self-taught musicians, and you're right on the money with your thoughts and explanation of it...basics and techniques can always be learned and concentrated on when needed...having a specific reason to learn a scale, technique, etc. is always more inspiring than just doing exercises just for the sake of doing them.

I'm thinking you're on the right path Reg.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -Steven Wright

I've seen a lot of 4 string basses before, but...

You ain't ordering you one, Jimbo???

I'm loving her attitude!!!

Update: We?ve had a couple very productive vocal practices for the band, performed a long set on local jam stage and have picked up a couple gigs for the season. The guys all get along very well and looks like it may last a while as we?re pretty much all on the same page

Had a great time playing fiddle at a fish fry/jam session last night. Got lucky and had one of those elusive, wonderful
    sessions where I played far above my normal ability?I love when that happens?a couple times i had to just look at my fiddle and wonder ?did I really just pull that off?? haha...the fish and venison was all pretty decent too...

Got a call from a buddy today?Mike Lilly is coming up to hang out & jam next weekend and asked John to call me and see if I?d come play Bass?uhhh?YES! Always have a great time with Mike (and he?s one awesome banjo picker & singer).

You're lucky you have people to play with!

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Great news Dave!
    There are but two seasons. Winter, and preparing for winter.
    Jim