Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

I play some guitar, uploaded these last year. On to heavier things nowadays...
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HbWmzvUiYns?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EiZ6LHa8cYk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I do need to start playing some more blues-ier stuff. it all helps everywhere in a persons playing..

Cool!

Just got sent a video of a show I played back in'89. this band was as close as I got to the "big-time" as far as recognition, money, and talent. Really miss those days.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mdJPbq-Am1w?list=UUmBYQS7UnGtimtTGA-bXPEQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Had time to preserve another from the old blues album. When the Creeper Comes Around was always one of my favorites we did.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NEm_AYIybBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK, last one.
Ya, I know, ballad...:sleepy2:

This was my personal favorite to play; diminished walks, advanced chord progression, etc. and the lyrics are down my alley :cry:.

RIP Ed Powers and John Ott.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ihofte30gCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Walking up/down a Dim arpeggio in a manner so as to lead into whatever comes next.

We get so used to regular Maj/minor type stuff that the flatted 5th will catch one off guard if not paying close attention.

Dave, didn't you say awhile back that you be playing in a rocking band....bright lights and big city kind of thing?

Nope. I play strictly acoustic now-a-days. Believe me the band on that album could rock a place when we played live! we played out as a 8-9 piece unit if you include the horn section.

Right now I play banjo for a small time in-State band and play bass for Mike Lilly who just got interviewed today for the front cover story on Jan issue of Banjo Newsletter.

A little bit of Mike...<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zpt4ybttmK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n5Im-2ShYZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was in a band with Freddie Harris (the mando player on the second vid) for a couple years back in the day.

Some great sounds, Dave. I was wondering, do bluegrass type singers tend to work on their voices a lot, I mean taking lessons and training, or is it more that they develop the ability to sing on their own over time and with experience?

Jay,

Thank You.

People learn different ways... Church choirs, from people they are in a group with, or handed down through family/friends. some take lessons, but it's not hard to find folks who will share what they know to help another improve.

Singing is a huge part of the music, with many three and four part harmonies being sung. Myself I started by singing along with records (I still do this), over the years I've had the chance to sing harmony to some really good lead singers, and have picked up tips on improving from band-mates along the way. And like anything repetition and practice help one hone their skill.

I loved it when the singers in a band would stick together for several years...things really reach a higher level after so much time together.

Thanks.

If someone that didn't have a good voice to begin with, but wanted to be a decent singer, perhaps not good enough to be a lead one, but to provide harmonies, could training and experience enable the voice to develop to enable that? Maybe it is more that some have it, and some don't.

When i saw Jim and Jesse and their group live, the singing was phenomenal. It was a great show. When they were walking off stage, Jesse turned to Jim and made a gesture like he was picking his teeth with a toothpick after a great meal. Jim smiled. It seemed to be that they thought it was a great show as well. There must be a lot of satisfaction from a good performance in front of a receptive audience.

Jim & Jesse are another level up yet. they are blood relatives (Brothers) and have similar voices with a similar timbre at the start, and pronounce their works alike. Yes they are in an elite category. I love brother duets. I've spent many a time over the years with friends trying to emulate their sound.Two of my good friends (Tim Ellis and Loyd Douglas) have had the honor to play banjo for Jim & Jesse.

Your first sentence is a near perfect description of my singing abilities. Born with mediocre voice and worked hard to improve it and find my niche in singing = mediocre singer. the voice one is born with can be the biggest advantage/disadvantage for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That sounded good Dave. Its fun when you get back together with guys and its like you never quit playing.

We have a gig this weekend and our old drummer is coming back from No Dak to drum.

Its uncanny, we wont play for a couple of years but it still sounds like a sewing machine when we do.

Keep em coming Dave!

umm...nope jim it wasn't like that..None of us has been playing much so it didn't come out real smooth. Never played that song as a band..hell I learned it as we were playing, although I had heard it several times before I've never tried laying/singing it.:|:

It was fun though, I'll see if I can upload a couple more.

New Bass amp came today. 600w @ 4 ohm through two 10" (has a tweeter too). Also has an XLR input w/phantom pwr so I can use my mic...8)

Attachments

• rusty - amp 010.jpg
    rusty - amp 010.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 18
  • rusty - amp 011.jpg
    rusty - amp 011.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 18
  • rusty - amp 012.jpg
    rusty - amp 012.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 18
Back