Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t9kosVvlb_M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. I've been learning piano about a year and a half now. I did buy a guitar too, but I haven't got around to it yet. Would love to play guitar, always wanted to, but I don't know when that could happen.

It's quite amazing you've gotten that skilled so quickly!

I didn't take the convention route. I just went straight to learning stuff I wanted to play. I didn't want to build up to a piece like that over 6 years. Instead I just went straight at it, and others. I can read music, but I can't play what I'm reading and be anything like up to speed. But I can read and learn what's written in the sheet. Then practice over and over, until I remember it. A sequence, then a page, and so on. If I was just reading and learning easy stuff like old MacDonald farm, the sounds that I'd be hearing would give me no incentive to practice, and id probably have given up long ago. But when you play and hear stuff that has complexity and depth, it entices you all the more and makes you want to learn it. Obviousl you end up with lots of holes and flaws in your game is the downside....but I can hopefully fill those incidently over the coming years.

I didn't take the convention route. I just went straight to learning stuff I wanted to play. I didn't want to build up to a piece like that over 6 years. Instead I just went straight at it, and others. I can read music, but I can't play what I'm reading and be anything like up to speed. But I can read and learn what's written in the sheet. Then practice over and over, until I remember it. A sequence, then a page, and so on. If I was just reading and learning easy stuff like old MacDonald farm, the sounds that I'd be hearing would give me no incentive to practice, and id probably have given up long ago. But when you play and hear stuff that has complexity and depth, it entices you all the more and makes you want to learn it. Obviousl you end up with lots of holes and flaws in your game is the downside....but I can hopefully fill those incidently over the coming years.

This is actually very conventional for self-taught musicians, and you're right on the money with your thoughts and explanation of it...basics and techniques can always be learned and concentrated on when needed...having a specific reason to learn a scale, technique, etc. is always more inspiring than just doing exercises just for the sake of doing them.

I'm thinking you're on the right path Reg.

I've seen a lot of 4 string basses before, but...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MVyvV0tOOjw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You ain't ordering you one, Jimbo???

I'm loving her attitude!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SaX7I45_c-I" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Update: We?ve had a couple very productive vocal practices for the band, performed a long set on local jam stage and have picked up a couple gigs for the season. The guys all get along very well and looks like it may last a while as we?re pretty much all on the same page

Had a great time playing fiddle at a fish fry/jam session last night. Got lucky and had one of those elusive, wonderful
sessions where I played far above my normal ability?I love when that happens?a couple times i had to just look at my fiddle and wonder ?did I really just pull that off?? haha...the fish and venison was all pretty decent too...

Got a call from a buddy today?Mike Lilly is coming up to hang out & jam next weekend and asked John to call me and see if I?d come play Bass?uhhh?YES! Always have a great time with Mike (and he?s one awesome banjo picker & singer).

Don't I know it Butch! I've been steadily working toward it for several years now...of course nothing I've mentioned is less than a 2 hour drive away, but that's pretty normal for around here.

For sure. I'm using my wrists, not my arms. The hardest part is keeping the pedal going steady nonstop for long periods.

Get a little deeper and you'll be using your fingers more and wrists less. Are you playing the kick with your heel down or up?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Heel down, so far.

Man, I can't wait to get some good cymbals!

Speaking of good cymbals, this is next in line when I upgrade!

SV628X-MXN-large.jpg.auto.webp

Yeah good cymbals make a big difference. The crash in the top left of the pic was a birthday gift when I was 14 and it's the best sounding cymbal I have.

drums.jpg

Now I see it!

That would take my knee out! Mine sits about 5" closer to the kick

Attachments

• 29598199_10212021219027124_5893155138536396959_n.jpg
    29598199_10212021219027124_5893155138536396959_n.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 8
Back