Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

I play guitar, bass, and drums - mostly guitar, but I've lost all interest in my old age. I haven't picked up my guitar in six months.

Why do you like a short scale bass?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dont know. Someone told me once the B string sounds better short scale. I have a long scale and a couple of short scale basses. I cant tell the difference. Truth be told i dont know much about the technical aspects of playing. I cant read music and taught myself to play by ear. I have a set of drums and bought a guitar a year ago to teach myself to play. The one i have the most trouble with is the accordion, i can only play a couple of Nirvana songs on that.

It's amazing the teaching videos on youtube. Any song you can think of, there's a video showing you how to play it.

Well, there's my picture....

i also play Banjo, Guitar, Mandolin, electric Bass, and Double Bass, and sing. Been in many bands of different genre, ran my own studio, did some session work for others (all small time).

Have played Blues, jazz, dinner music, classic rock & country, Top 40, Bluegrass.....basically whatever paid.

Spent most of my life playing clubs, festivals, fairs, bars, & private parties.

I still play something almost everyday but am officially retired from the stage/band thing, although I do play a show once in a great while when old band-mates ask for help.

I dont know. Someone told me once the B string sounds better short scale.

hmmm...never tuned a string to B on a Bass.

Short scale = Brighter tone + less sustain, but it can all be changed by effects/filters. Most normal reason I'm aware of is reach of hand.

Normally a longer scale makes for a better sounding, tight B string. Regular basses are 34inch, but they do 35 and 36 scale. There are also fan fret basses to maximize scale length. Amazing really. But Leo Fender did the job right in 1952 with the 'precision' bass. What a guy he was! Where would we be without his instruments? Strat, telecaster, precision, jazz and Rhodes! RIP

Hey Joe, here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wWR7QZTYbzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks I'll remember how to do that next time.
There were babes for sure. We would travel a few times a year around the us and canada once and meet up with other groups to put on performances and it was always a party!

Many years ago I studied diligently with a teacher and eventually was awarded a teaching certificate myself in the bamboo flute (shakuhachi). This is a famous composition, called Haru no umi, or "Spring sea". Sometimes I would get together and perform with women okoto players, as is being done in the video. The flute was originally an instrument that Buddhist priests would play when making the rounds, sometimes to get a few alms. The monks would cover their heads down to the mouth, and were known as "priests of nothingness". Pretty much have stopped playing, I find it a lonely sound. The wind blows from nothingness to nothingness, kind of thing. It was more ok when I was single, a foreigner in a strange land, and the girls on okoto were often lovely.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_ylh0C5Wsog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lovely music Jay. I really like shakuhachi. It must have taken a lot of disciplined practice to become a good player.

Thanks, Leon. You have to sit on your knees for long periods, more often played that way than when standing up. It could get rather painful, and the teacher would make few allowances. Three years to be able to fluctuate the breath properly, it is said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, that is quite a sound. Kind of goes right through you. I cant believe the volume that the flute makes.
I always wondered what instruments make those sounds when watching a movie or something, now I know, thanks!

Wow. The dedication and diligence that is found in Asian arts produces a level of subtlety and skill that amazes me again and again.

Back