2 on 1 pull line

Joezilla11

TreeHouser
Anyone ever set a pull line in a top and a second pull line on the trunk, but instead of two seperate lines attach the second line to the first line with a prussik so as to only use one pulling device on one line?

If I set a second line for redundancy (in case one breaks) they are tied at separate points to the tree, but each have their own anchor as well. What would be the point otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Skinny top or concern of the top breaking. I thought maybe the second line could even be left a little slack so once u pull some top weight over the second line would grab and pull the tree.

I don't know if its needed and one line well placed would probably do but just an idea I thought of and was wondering if anyone ever used it before.

I heard of a guy who was pulling a big sycamore over with a heavy back lean. He supposedly had 7 ropes in it all to different pulls. They say there was a big Crack as the first rope broke and it then sounded like a machine gun as all the rest went one by one. Bad day for him....

I would just tie it where you feel it won't break with one rope strong enough to withstand whatever type of pull power you need to apply for the given leverage/height you were able to tie it off at. I backup all pull trees with wedges. Always unless they're tiny.

I heard of a guy who was pulling a big sycamore over with a heavy back lean. He supposedly had 7 ropes in it all to different pulls. They say there was a big Crack as the first rope broke and it then sounded like a machine gun as all the rest went one by one. Bad day for him....

That sounds crazy or like poor planning or rigging. Our arb rig lines are plenty strong for most all trees. Seven to go pulling one tree sounds like it was such a monster and so heavy away from the lay that it shoulda been stepped up to heavier rigging like wire rope or something. Or done a different way, like get some of the weight off first.

Easy to armchair arborist after the fact though. Lol. I've made more than one lousy call in my life.

If a tree makes me think it would need 7 ropes to pull it over, then pulling it over is not even an option for me. Im not into that high stakes, going for broke, all in balls out, sort of tree flopping. My gaffs work just fine and I haven't dumped a tree through a structure yet.

I have used a similar setup but used a blake's hitch instead of a prusik on 2 trees together.

Two dead pines with intertwined branches and several grape vines all over both. Just made my face notch and cut most of the back cut in the one on the back side

then face notched and back cut the one on the front side then stepped away and pulled them both over in tandem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have used a similar setup but used a blake's hitch instead of a prusik on 2 trees together.

Two dead pines with intertwined branches and several grape vines all over both. Just made my face notch and cut most of the back cut in the one on the back side

then face notched and back cut the one on the front side then stepped away and pulled them both over in tandem.

I knew there had to be someone out there! That seems like a good option

Back