Rivets

NickfromWI

King of Splices
This should be a riveting thread...

Due to a whoopsie I find myself needing to install some rivets..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383705692.323016.jpg

These rivets have larger head on them...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383705723.373187.jpg

They are ¼" and the hardware stores around here didn't have a tool that can install rivets that big.

The tools I see online seem pretty bulky for something I'll probably use one. Any other options?

Anyone tried Rivnuts?

love
nick

Nick, get some cherrymax rivets you can use a pop rivet gun to sqeeze them. Though cherrymax's that size will take some grunt. Or drill all the way through it and put nuts and bolts.

You could also use nut plates on the back side then use bolts/screws on the front side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a possibility, but I think I could rivet it myself for about $50 rather than paying a lot more than that ($200 maybe?) to have it welded?

I found this thing just now. Looks promising...if it works. I'm trying to find a youtube vid

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/i/Rivnut.gif

This might do it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j637MlgO9os" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Neither. It is held open by these funny rubber bumper things. It's just friction, not a lock, per se. It came unhook while dumping and I didn't notice whilst backing up.

I like this one..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QVFEAs0Fjzg?list=SPW7MbMxNtPZNVpcNQtJpbkHk3SJ8EtqsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

weld x3 if you never need to be able to get it apart for anything

The stuff to do big rivets definitely isn't worth buying just for that. If you don't want to have it welded I'd imagine a bunch of big self tapping screws would do just fine.

Aluminum box use aluminum or Stainless rivets, or you will get a galvanic corrosion eating the aluminum. Stainless are a pain to pop.
Go to a Napa and ask about the alum ones, they stock them here, so maybe it is a standard inventory item in all stores.

Or find a competent aluminum welder and have a dozen small welds put on to stitch it back together.

If I am hardheadedly going for the rivets vs the welding, would y'all go for this type of tool...or something else..

hr-730_428x157.jpg

It's gotta be able to handle ¼" rivets. Show me something better! :P

I like this idea. Wonder if I can find it in the USA...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wmg_FqAgjDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same style I have, works extremely well, you'll never wear it out

That pic of those large rivets are refered to as drive rivets .They will work .

To use a regular 1/4" pop rivet usually takes either a compound leverage mechanical driver or a hydraulic tool both are very costly .

I have rivet setters that will set 3/16" rivets but on stainless they are really a chore.

Now you can buy rivet nuts like 3/16" and use pan head stove bolts like number 10 and still get a nearly flush finish .Plus if you wanted to you could remove them if need be rather than drill the heads off to gain access .

Back