The MS150 Has Arrived

Best thing we have done when it comes to protecting our ears is buying custom molded plugs.
Not cheap, about $200 a pair, but since they are molded after one's ear canal, they firt perfectly, so after a minute one forgets all about them.
With a pair of helmet ear muffs on top, the world is silent!

We run saws all day during logging season, this really helps a lot.

Wish I had been able to get those when I started, then my hearing might not be shot.

View attachment 86029

A local gun shop was running a special deal at the shooting range a few weeks ago. Custom molded ear plugs for $30 a pair. They work quite well.

I get back to Bermuda on Saturday, my 150 out there has been in storage for two years...might need to hit someone up to send out some chains for me, can't remember what I had left out there. The local Stihl dealer is unlikely to have any in stock, they don't carry the 150t.
BTW, my Aussie 150 was running really rough the other week, the plug went bad, changed it and it was fine. Never really had a bad plug before...

I got to use a 150 recently. That tiny chain makes it cut pretty fast. It is the only saw I'd ever do precision cutting with. I used it to clean up some misaligned cuts on big table rounds (the owner wanted to try making tables for his kids) and it does great at finishing a surface flat. I'd like to put that chain on a 16" bar on my Echo 271 if I could find that bar and chain combo. I can't justify buying one...ANY Stihl as expensive as they are.

As for ear plugs I really like Hearos Extreme Protection. They are the best I know, and feel good other than itchy ears, but that's gonna happen. I try to just leave them in the whole day to minimize itch. They even help me hear people talk in the noisy truck as it filters out engine noise way more than voices.

For many years I also had an issue with the cost of most Stihl pro saws. I climbed with an Echo for many years because I couldn't justify the cost of a 200T. That lasted until I used one. When you think about how long a quality tool will last and how much money it will make you, then the cost becomes much less significant. Consider how much money you will make with a high quality climbing saw per year, then figure how many years that saw will last. I still have five 200T top handle saws running and they are over 10 years old now. I paid over $600 each for them and they have made me much wealthier than if I didn't own them. Money spent on a quality tool is an investment.

I refinanced my house to invest in my first bucket truck, and it changed my life. I'd still be a broke dick if I had continued thinking "I can't afford expensive tools to make a living." Look around you at who is making good money, and who isn't. None of the people skimping on tools are making a killing, but the guys who invest in themselves and buy the high dollar equipment usually do well as long as they can keep that equipment working.

The thought that "I can't afford that tool" will keep you broke forever. Many times the key to financial success is being able to see past that and be willing to invest in buying tools and equipment that will make you wealthy. You won't do that with a climbing saw you bought at Home Depot.

Exactly what Brian says. And trust me what you lot pay for Stihl is nothing, try $ 1400 for a 200 and in Bermuda dollars that is US equivalent!
Sometimes you have to suck it up to get the best... The 150 is a money maker.

I mostly agree with you ideas, but I have seen a couple climbers struggle financially because they kept buying Stihls. I make it a point to take extra good care of my stuff. I know my Echo is quite a money saver, but I know it's limits too.

I might end up learning differently, but for now I still think my buys have been the most cost effective. I don't mind spending a lot where it's really worth it: durable milled bars, Stihl chain only as I find all others dull too fast, but even then I look for the best deals on chains which I usually find on ebay. I'd be happy to buy a chipper and bucket truck as it is way more efficient than the hard way I worked last year, but my boss already has them.

I just haven't seen the need for a Stihl saw yet. Plus, I don't need to use my equipment very much, so I don't need to worry about durability as much. I mostly throw branches in a chipper right now. If I climbed a lot, I might want a different saw. I'd at least need to put spikes on my 271t

If somebody's margin is so tight, that bying an expensive brand of chainsaw can make a big difference, they are doing something wrong.

Uh oh.... I'm doing something wrong!!

How's your closing rate?

You live in an economically depressed area. That is where you were when you started up on trees, based on industrial economic factors, otherwise in motors. Your not in an area that is a place to start up a tree company. 15 miles west of me, the market sucks compared to where I live. Sooooo many loggers in Shelton, WA. So many guys that will kill 'em cheap. I only do waterfront types there, in the very little business that I do there.

Location, Location, Location.

My take, worth the price, If you live in the highest cost of living place, like New England, perhaps, you can go to Kansas and buy a $75K bucket truck. If you're in a lot of Kansas, you're not so likely to be able to afford $75K.

A guy was advertising for employees in Tulsa, low pay in an low cost of living place. You can get buy, but never afford to go to New England.

What Jed's company charges in rich-ass Seattle would never fly 60 miles south, and would be laughed out of town in Shelton, so to speak.

Folks I know are switching the 2511 echo's over to the 1/4" regular chain though. The 3/8LP just has to much vibration in the cuts jarring them to death.

I was one that wanted the 3/8LP too, but fell in love with the 1/4" micro used on the 150. So freaking smooth

How's your closing rate?
My take, worth the price, If you live in the highest cost of living place, like New England, perhaps, you can go to Kansas and buy a $75K bucket truck. If you're in a lot of Kansas, you're not so likely to be able to afford $75K.
That's the high end of what we're looking for here in KS -- possibly a Terex 75' rear mount with elevator. But that'd be a brand new price with financing. If we go used, we may be looking more at a $30-45K rig. Not so much wanting a forestry rig, just a dedicated bucket truck to complement the chip truck.

That's the high end of what we're looking for here in KS -- possibly a Terex 75' rear mount with elevator. But that'd be a brand new price with financing. If we go used, we may be looking more at a $30-45K rig. Not so much wanting a forestry rig, just a dedicated bucket truck to complement the chip truck.

I may have misinterpreted your post but a new 75' rear mount is going to cost a heck of a lot more than $75K.

Seriously? The 150 mediocre?

Yes, nice and everything but check out August?s vid on the the little Echo.

Over on AT There lots of love for the little Echo, if I was getting a diddy saw I?d get the echo based on online reviews from peeps I listen to.

I have the battery husky and three 201s so I?m a little oversubscribed in that department.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWAXI3gn84

I may have misinterpreted your post but a new 75' rear mount is going to cost a heck of a lot more than $75K.

Few people buy their first bucket new. $75k is a lot for a guy's first, used, bucket truck, I'd guess.

I'm just saying that Peter has built up from scratch, established in an area that is not going to support tree work like, nor have the cost of living like New England.

If you're charging New England prices, versus economically depressed area prices, you're going to have a lot easier time getting a good piece of equipment, for many reasons, really.

I think that I was told that the 60' rear-mount versalift bucket-truck with lots of service boxes that I used to use, was $150k 10 years ago when new.

Back