The MS150 Has Arrived

Dedicated rear mount bucket is a lot more productive than a center mount forestry style bucket. I got both of mine through Altec's place in Birmingham. https://www.altec.com/altec-nueco/ Keep in mind they have quite a bit of negotiating room in their prices.
I had meant that was our approx. price range -- $30K to $75K. But ya, we may have to swallow hard and see if we can get a loan. Also, we're not stuck on Terex. Altec's gear is great, too. And we definitely want rear mount, material handler, and full over center. Probably 65' minimum -- we deal with some tall hardwood around here a lot. Yesterday we pruned/deadwooded an 80' red oak.

Folks I know are switching the 2511 echo's over to the 1/4" regular chain though. The 3/8LP just has to much vibration in the cuts jarring them to death.

I was one that wanted the 3/8LP too, but fell in love with the 1/4" micro used on the 150. So freaking smooth
Kevin? Do you have the part number for the sproket, and how did you adapt the bar to the 2511. I thought I saw you post it somewhere. But I can't find it.

Kevin? Do you have the part number for the sproket, and how did you adapt the bar to the 2511. I thought I saw you post it somewhere. But I can't find it.

I will ask Nate he is the makita dolmar echo dealer that has been sending out the swaps.

I didnt notice any adapting of a bar to use. Nate is setting up 1/4" regular. Not the 1/4" micro used on the 150.

Still havent found the numbers but here is a climber in my group feedback on regular 1/4" on it. = Echo should make 1/4? pitch standard on the 2511. Cuts so much better than the 3/8p and LP chains. Much smoother. No chattering and very little hang up while I made some test cuts on a 16? diameter red oak log.

e251114.jpg

Top notch honest guy. Been to his shop and he has been up to my place even though a few hours driving each way.

Back to the Ms150, has there been much reports of oiling issues? I've noticed recently ours seems to run on the dry side, and lately has seized up around 5 times in 2 weeks. I'm considering a slight oiler mod if it's easy to work on, and if the boss let's me.

Yup, oiler seems to be not working on my brand new 150. Feels like the clutch is slipping too. I'm about ready to toss this one.

I think the oilers or oil tanks have crud in them from the factory. Most of mine have stopped oiling multiple times. If you blow air back into the oiler hole it starts working again. Washing the tank out with gas helps. Adding something thinner than bar oil seems to help also. I often spray some silicone spray in the oil tank to thin the oil. Out of 5 MS150s in the last 2 years I'm down to two and I won't be buying any more. Love the weight but they suck. Gonna try the cheapo Echo. It can't be any worse and less than half the price.

Oh, and if you get the oiler working and muffler opened up so it will breathe, they rip. Until the mounting tab on the engine case snaps off, then they vibrate like crazy and are garbage. Got 2 with broken tabs in the parts box.

I've had 2 for a long time now and the only thing I have had to do differently with regards to oil is to keep the bar and oil tracks clean and open. Everything on these saws is tiny and things clog up easily.

My 150 is still running pretty nice. It has its place. My Echo 2511 has stepped up to replace it with out regret.
I think you will like it Brian.
Also, search out the carb tools for echo as well. I got some off ebay I believe.

If we go waaay back to the early days of this thread...y'all will see that I told you this would be a poor excuse for a chainsaw.

Old guys sometimes have to gloat, since we can't do much that is actually productive in our dotage :D.

Well I'm still loving mine, one on each side of the planet.
Yes, empty the oil tank, blow some air back through it and rinse the tank with gas. I've only ever had to do that once.
Just had to put a new sparkplug in both of mine...after 3 years. They were running rough, new plug and they run like a sewing machine again. (and yes, open out the exhaust hole)

NO complaints. Y'all are just too rough on them, they LITTLE.

If we go waaay back to the early days of this thread...y'all will see that I told you this would be a poor excuse for a chainsaw...

Certainly not how I see it. Amazing little saws that continue to perform splendidly.

I saw one guy get a new one, and from the start the oiler didn't work. I wasn't surprised though. I always wonder if they lube them before final assembly and test run. Usually the oil tanks are dry on new saws.

I think I saw in a disappointingly low detail(as they usually are) how it's made episode where Echo lubes their oiler assembly during installation. I think even the worm gear which most just leave dry.

So is a marshmallow. Doesn't cut all that powerfully, either :).

Apologies to Dave, Fiona, and all the rest of you MS150 proponents. I'm bad, and have no true standing as I've never run one...sorry :). All the rest of you peeps, pay far more attention to these folks who have them, than to me.

No need to apologize, Burnham. You have earned the right to have an opinion on almost anything that is talked about on this forum. Even if I disagree, I will still listen to every word you say and pay close attention to your voice of experience.

Back